Effect of Temp on yield stress and fracture toughness

In summary, at higher temperatures, the yield stress of steel decreases due to increased atom vibrations, allowing for easier dislocation movement and resulting in a more ductile fracture. At lower temperatures, the yield stress increases, making it more difficult for dislocations to move and resulting in a more brittle fracture. The sudden jump in fracture toughness at 0 degrees Celsius may be due to a change in the material's crystal structure or a change in the type of bonding present.
50Cent

Homework Statement

I am given the trends for yield stress and fracture toughness as functions of temperature for steel. I need to explain the trends

1zme1hi.jpg

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I am guessing the yield stress is the stress that the material can withstand before it starts to deform plastically. So that infers that the steel is more elastic at lower temperatues. I can't explain the reasoning for this. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both graphs can be explained by the same temperature-dependent mechanism. How does plastic deformation occur? Why does a material fracture suddenly, rather than plastically deform?

Mapes said:
Both graphs can be explained by the same temperature-dependent mechanism. How does plastic deformation occur? Why does a material fracture suddenly, rather than plastically deform?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. What is the temperature-dependant mechanism? I've been looking through a few books and searching google for hours but can't find any difinitive answers. Perhaps my searches arent specific enough.

i found this text though online
=====================
The most significant factor which is determined by the temperature is the mobility of the structural defects such as grain boundaries, point vacancies, line and screw dislocations, stacking faults and twins in both crystalline and non-crystalline solids. The movement or displacement of such mobile defects is thermally activated, and thus limited by the rate of atomic diffusion.
===================================

is that what i need to look at? the mobility of grain boundaries at different temperatures?

Plastic deformation involves the breaking of atomic bonds by the movement of dislocations as far as i know. And a material will fracture suddenly if it has a low youngs modulus, and is a brittle material.

Excellent. Agreed that plastic deformation in metals is generally caused by dislocation motion, which is enabled and accelerated at higher temperatures due to thermally activated processes.

Now the link to fracture mechanics: what does it mean to be brittle? Why would a material fracture suddenly instead of deforming through dislocation motion?

Mapes said:
Excellent. Agreed that plastic deformation in metals is generally caused by dislocation motion, which is enabled and accelerated at higher temperatures due to thermally activated processes.

Now the link to fracture mechanics: what does it mean to be brittle? Why would a material fracture suddenly instead of deforming through dislocation motion?

Ok Thanks,
So the material has a low yield stress at higher temperature, because the disocations are easier to move? When you say thermally activated processes, what do you mean by that?

A brittle fracture fails by rapid crack propagation, as is normally perpendicular to the applied stress. As i understand it, there are two main types of brittle fracture,
transgranular (through the grain boudaries)
intergranular (along grain boundaries)

Found this also, seems relevant (key points bolded):
========================================
The first and foremost factor is temperature. Basically, at higher temperatures the yield strength is lowered and the fracture is more ductile in nature. On the opposite end, at lower temperatures the yield strength is greater and the fracture is more brittle in nature. This relationship with temperature has to do with atom vibrations. As temperature increases, the atoms in the material vibrate with greater frequency and amplitude. This increased vibration allows the atoms under stress to slip to new places in the material ( i.e. break bonds and form new ones with other atoms in the material). This slippage of atoms is seen on the outside of the material as plastic deformation, a common feature of ductile fracture.
When temperature decreases however, the exact opposite is true. Atom vibration decreases, and the atoms do not want to slip to new locations in the material. So when the stress on the material becomes high enough, the atoms just break their bonds and do not form new ones. This decrease in slippage causes little plastic deformation before fracture. Thus, we have a brittle type fracture.
========================================

So at higher temperatures the atoms can slip more easily and make the material easier to deform? Also resulting in less brittle fracture?

Yes. At lower temperatures, dislocations are less likely to move, and the yield strength of metals increases. But this means that at crack tips, the plastic deformation mechanism that would blunt the tip and ease the stress concentration is less likely to occur. The "plastic zone" is smaller.

A material will fracture when the energy penalty of forming more surface area is lower than the penalty of pushing dislocations through the material. When an increasing load continues to add strain energy to a material with limited possibilities for dislocation movement (e.g., a cold material), it eventually becomes energetically favorable to ease the load by fracturing. Does this make sense?

(By "thermally activated," I mean any process with an activation, or energy, barrier, such as the breaking and reforming of atomic bonds that occurs with dislocation movement.)

Mapes said:
Yes. At lower temperatures, dislocations are less likely to move, and the yield strength of metals increases. But this means that at crack tips, the plastic deformation mechanism that would blunt the tip and ease the stress concentration is less likely to occur. The "plastic zone" is smaller.

A material will fracture when the energy penalty of forming more surface area is lower than the penalty of pushing dislocations through the material. When an increasing load continues to add strain energy to a material with limited possibilities for dislocation movement (e.g., a cold material), it eventually becomes energetically favorable to ease the load by fracturing. Does this make sense?

(By "thermally activated," I mean any process with an activation, or energy, barrier, such as the breaking and reforming of atomic bonds that occurs with dislocation movement.)

Ahh i see. Yes i understand that. I can explain the yield graph very well now, thanks for your help. Really Appreciate it.

Finally for the fracture toughness graph. Do i apply the same information about dislocations being less likely to move at lower temp?

Or is it because at low temp the plastic zone is smaller so the material can absorb less enegery before fracture. Also what causes the sudden jump at 0 deg celcius? there must be something that enables the fracture toughness to more than double over the last 50 degrees on the graph?

50Cent said:
Finally for the fracture toughness graph. Do i apply the same information about dislocations being less likely to move at lower temp?

Yes, my last comment was meant to address the fracture toughness trend. Dislocation movement absorbs energy. If you think about the work you do when plastically deforming a material (force x displacement), that energy is stored in the creation and movement of immense numbers of dislocations.

50Cent said:
Also what causes the sudden jump at 0 deg celcius? there must be something that enables the fracture toughness to more than double over the last 50 degrees on the graph?

Well, there are no error bars, so it's not clear how accurate the values are. But a thermally activated process would be expected to respond exponentially to temperature, so I suppose it's not surprising if the rate of fracture toughness improvement increases with temperature.

ahh right. I think that's the question sorted then :) Again thank you very much, you've helped me out a great deal!

Appreciate it :D

You're welcome.

1. How does an increase in temperature affect yield stress?

As temperature increases, the yield stress of a material generally decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, the atoms in the material have more thermal energy and are able to move more easily, making it easier for the material to deform and yield.

2. Does temperature have an effect on fracture toughness?

Yes, temperature can have a significant effect on fracture toughness. At higher temperatures, materials tend to become more ductile and are able to absorb more energy before fracturing, resulting in higher fracture toughness. However, at extremely high temperatures, materials may become too soft and lose their strength, leading to lower fracture toughness.

3. Is there a specific temperature range where yield stress and fracture toughness are most affected?

The temperature range at which yield stress and fracture toughness are most affected can vary depending on the specific material. Generally, for metals, the most significant changes occur at temperatures below the melting point, while for polymers, the most significant changes may occur closer to the glass transition temperature.

4. How can the effect of temperature on yield stress and fracture toughness be measured?

The effect of temperature on yield stress and fracture toughness can be measured through various testing methods, such as tensile testing and impact testing. These tests involve subjecting the material to different temperatures and measuring its mechanical properties, such as yield stress and fracture toughness, at each temperature.

5. Are there any strategies for minimizing the negative effects of temperature on yield stress and fracture toughness?

Yes, there are several strategies for minimizing the negative effects of temperature on yield stress and fracture toughness. These include selecting materials with suitable properties for the intended temperature range, using protective coatings or materials, and designing components to prevent localized heating or cooling. Additionally, proper heat treatment techniques can also improve the mechanical properties of materials at various temperatures.