Value of fracture toughness for a finite plate

In summary: The Dugdale model is based on a shallow crack in a plate with a/sqrt(πa) <1. So the plate needs to be much thicker than 0.0085m.For part (b) I doubt that you can just scale up the critical stress intensity factor by the ratio of plate width to crack length (a/w) as you have done. To be honest, I am not sure what to do here but I would have thought the state of stress is different in a thick plate compared with a thin plate.In summary, the conversation discusses a fracture toughness test on a specimen made of steel with a yield strength of 650 MN m^-2 and containing an edge crack. The value of fracture toughness (
mahkum
Hiii
heeeeeelp please.
I am new here and hope to find a solution and an easy to understand explanation to my problem:confused:. Thank you all :smile:

a. A specimen corresponding to a finite plate of width W = 65 mm is made from a steel with a yield strength of 650 MN m^-2 and contains an edge crack 8.5 mm long. A fracture toughness test is carried out on this specimen, and a failure stress of 295 MN m^-2 is measured. Determine the value of fracture toughness (K IC), for this particular steel.

b. A steel similar to the one used during the fracture toughness test described in part (a) is used to manufacture a large component that can be considered to be equivalent to an infinite plate. If the maximum stress that the component can be subjected to is 30 % of the yield strength, determine:
i. wheather a crack that has grown by fatigue to 12 mm long is acceptable
ii. at what length the growing crack exceeds the safety factor

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about writing some equations and showing some work.

Can you attempt any part of the question?

Hii,

Yes I did actually calculated the results for the whole question but I am not confident if it is correct. My gut feeling is that I am wrong.:confused:

For (a) I have used the equation KIC = Y*σ critical *(sqrt π*a)

Y= a factor for the geometry of the specimen, which I have calculated as follows:

Y= (1.12-0.23*(a/w)+10.55*(a/w)^2 -21.72* (a/w)^3 +30.39* (a/w)^4) =1.23

a = length of crack
w= width of the specimen

and according to these, the value of fracture toughness calculates:
K IC = 1.23*295 MN m^-2 *(sqrt π*0.0085) = 59.29 MN m^-3/2

For (b i): I know the maximum stress the component will be subjected to is 30% of yield = 195 MN m^-2
when I calculate the critical stress for the component with a 12 mm crack, I can compare and it comes out that it is acceptable:
σc = K IC/Y* (sqrt π*a) = 272.65 MN m-2

For (b ii): π*a critical = ( K IC/ Y*σ max)^2 = 0.07370

0.07370/π = 0.023m (this is the crack length which would exceed the safety factor)

What do you guys think ?
Thank you

Well in principle the methods seems right, though I am not sure where you got your Y geometry correction - it does not look like an Irwin or Dugdale factor.

Nor is the specimen plate in part (a) like as BS 5447 test specimen.

What is fracture toughness?

Fracture toughness is a material property that measures its resistance to brittle fracture. It is a critical parameter for materials used in structural applications, as it determines the amount of energy a material can absorb before breaking.

Why is fracture toughness important for finite plates?

Finite plates are used in a variety of structural applications, such as bridges and buildings. These structures are subjected to various types of loads, and fracture toughness is crucial in ensuring their structural integrity, as it determines the maximum load a plate can withstand before fracturing.

How is fracture toughness measured for finite plates?

The most common method for measuring fracture toughness in finite plates is through the use of a standardized test, such as the ASTM E1820. This test involves applying a controlled amount of stress to a notched plate and measuring the amount of energy required to cause fracture.

What factors can affect the fracture toughness of a finite plate?

The fracture toughness of a finite plate can be affected by various factors, such as the material properties, plate geometry, loading conditions, and environmental conditions. For example, a plate made of a brittle material will have a lower fracture toughness compared to a plate made of a ductile material.

How can the fracture toughness of a finite plate be improved?

There are several ways to improve the fracture toughness of a finite plate, such as using materials with higher toughness, altering the plate geometry to reduce stress concentrations, and implementing design strategies that can better distribute the load. Additionally, proper handling and maintenance of the plate can also help prevent defects and increase its fracture toughness.