Is Gravitational String Theory the Unified Theory of Everything?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
SeannyBoi71
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
In the other day's lecture, my professor was going over gravitational potential energy and on a side note he added that there is a theory (though not fully accepted by many people as a theory) out there saying something about another dimension, with tiny strings acting on objects, and that is how gravity works? Anyone ever heard anything about this or know any more information?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, superstring theory is one of the most widely studied areas of research in theoretical physics. Essentially, superstring theory postulates that every elementary particle (seen as points) is actually a loop (a superstring - super comes from something known as supersymmetry) that vibrates. It vibrates due to the fact that it wants to have the lowest amount of potential energy, much like a spring. Superstring theory is able to incorporate General Relativity into Quantum Field Theory by having a string vibration mode that is a spin 2, massless particle, a graviton. It is spin-2 because the Stress-Energy tensor is a second-rank tensor. Although, superstring theory can be generalized to M-Theory which is a theory of M2-branes and M5-branes but this isn't necessary to know for the sake of my argument. In order for superstring theory/m-theory to be consistent the framework needs 11 space-time dimensions. The extra dimensions are accepted within the string community to be compactified at each point in space into Calabi-Yau Manifolds.

I hope this helped.
 
Last edited:
Wow! Very in-depth, but thank you, definitely clarified it
 
I'm just going to add this for the sake of other people if I wasn't clear. The graviton is a force carrying particle for gravity and tells space-time how to curve via the Stress-Energy Tensor.

No problem, I'm glad I could help