Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it 2nd order polynomials, or 2nd order quadratics?

1. May 14, 2008 #1
    I thought this was rather odd, and wanted to just show it to see what you all thought of it. Well, also, if anyone knows what I should read to exactly understand what I did.

1: Lets define each answer of a polynomial such as (ax + b)(cx + d) as x1 = (-b/a), x2 = (-d/c).

2: The polynomial written out is qx^2 + rx + s

3: Change the polynomial from qx^2 + rx + s to where x = s, and rewrite the problem as qS^2 + rS = S.

4: Devide S out, which leaves qS + r = 1

5: subtract r, qS + r - r = 1 - r. qS = 1 - r

6: Devide q, qS/q = (1 - r)/q. S = (1-r)/q

7: Now if the equation (q x1 + 1)/q is subtracted from S will solve for x2. Or if x1 is replaced with x2 the equation then solves for x1.
    (1-r)/q - (q x1 + 1)/q = x2
    (1-r)/q - (q x2 + 1)/q = x1

I did simplify this, but I still think it is rather interesting as to 'how' I did this, rather than the 'simplicity' of it.
    (Darn it, I forgot what these kinds of polynomials are called. Is it 2nd order polynomials, or 2nd order quadratics?)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2
    I just ran it through a couple of problems but it seems that in the third order....

qx3 + rx2+sx+t
    (ax+b)(cx+d)(ex+f)
    x1 = -b/a
    x2 = -d/c
    x3 = -f/e

(1-r)/q - (q x1 + 1)/q = x2 + x3
    (1-r)/q - (q x2 + 1)/q = x1 + x3
    (1-r)/q - (q x3 + 1)/q = x1 + x2

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  4. May 14, 2008 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The original polynomial is 0 only at its roots. x=s is NOT a root, so your rewrite is wrong. Also you put in a sign change in the S term.

5. May 14, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To what?? Isn't that a crucial part of the problem?

6. May 14, 2008 #5
    Yikes...I had thought I did a better job at explaining it, I guess not...Well back to the drawing board...

I just thought it was interesting how I came up with it...

I'll try one more time, though...

qx2 + rx = s, and 'Falsely' implying s as the value of x (Actually, I consider this change as 'False' and call the new variable formed as 'False x', however, I use s instead here)

qx2+rx = s...Making S = x (Yes, I know there is a change in the variable, that is what I find interesting)

qS2+rS = S...Deviding S out then leaves qS + r = 1.

qS = 1 - r, then devide q out.

Thus S is the 'False' x.

(Which is the reason that I started using the capital letter S instead of the lowercase s when I was expressing that in the first post. Perhaps I should have mentioned that...)

Then using the 'False' x in the equation

(FALSE X) - (qx2 + 1)/q = x1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?