Is it easier to hold a swinging partner than a stationary one?

  • Thread starter Thread starter petwoip
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
petwoip
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
is it harder to hold him while stationary or while swinging back and forth.

Now I know Fc = m x ac and Fg = mg.

Im thinking it is easier to hold the partner while swinging, because you not only have momentum, but also because the centripetal force is an inward force so it make the gravitational force less. I may be wrong though. What can I do, or what is the answer?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When you whirl an object tied to a string, does that object tend to come toward you, or does the string exert an ouward force on your hand?