MissSilvy said:
I went to Austria for a year-long exchange during high school and I learned quite a bit of German. I am at the point where I can read 90% of the 'adult' sort of novels (meaning books that are not children's books or short stories, not erotic books). I'm browsing amazon.com looking for a few to buy to keep me occupied but I'm having trouble finding any that sound interesting. It's a bit odd, since I'm not a very picky reader in English at all. Does anyone else have this problem with reading in another language or am I just being overly picky?
It sounds like you would be doing yourself a favor to read recreationally in German just to keep your skill with the language.
It's smart to keep fluent, keep what you learned on the high school exchange program. It's a good language.
So you don't have to read novels by German novelists. If you like Russian novels instead you can read Brothers Karamazov in German! They have translations of everything.
Tell us what you enjoy reading in English. We can give you plenty of ideas of stuff you can enjoy reading in German.
My friend was in the US Army in Germany way back 30-40 years ago. He likes to read American detective novels and James Bond novels, spy thrillers. So he makes a point to read some of those those novels he enjoys in German translation. He still goes every year to Germany on vacation. He has a lot of friends and has a great time being a real part of life, not a tourist only.
He also gets news magazines and newspapers in German sometimes. The library has them.
What you should read in German is what you ordinarily like most to read. If it is travel books, then get travel books in German. Or Mary Poppins, you can probably find that in German. Whatever.
I like to watch German movies. For example my wife and I have a favorite that we have watched several times called "Wings of Desire" or "Skies over Berlin". They have it at the local rental place called Reel and also on Netflix, it stars Bruno Ganz.
I wonder what favorite German movies other people have.
Some DVDs have a choice of language and you can select to hear the dialog in German. I discovered that I enjoy a certain John Travolta movie better if it is in French, with French actors speaking the lines. It seems more suitable for gangsters and Grade B movie actors to be talking French, somehow.
Probably you could find some very entertaining things that way. I wonder how Bladerunner would be if it had a German soundtrack, with English subtitles in case you missed something. Or Men in Black, but with Tommy Lee Jones talking German. Have fun and be creative. Keep your foreign language alive.