Is it just me or are university libraries' books useless?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 7K views
Andy Resnick said:
Probably not- electronic subscriptions to Journals are not free.

and not cheap!

To add to that, if you want current research that is published in journals... you better have a good library handy! I actually tried to see if a certain paper that was published in Nuclear Physics B was available for free. I figured hey, its SO easy to make it free because it can just be saved to your hard drive! Then boom, put it on a pirating site.

Nope. No dice.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I was spending ~ 5 hours per day on average studying in my college library for all of my last semester.

I love libraries. When I go to new cities, first thing I do is make a library card. I attempt to read social science books (rarely) and some novels (often).

When I came to my college, first thing I did was to find the engineering library. I found really good books. I also sometimes borrow really good non-engineering books but because of other priorities I have never managed to do much readings.
 
Pengwuino said:
and not cheap!

To add to that, if you want current research that is published in journals... you better have a good library handy! I actually tried to see if a certain paper that was published in Nuclear Physics B was available for free. I figured hey, its SO easy to make it free because it can just be saved to your hard drive! Then boom, put it on a pirating site.

Nope. No dice.

There's been a lot written about a certain publisher (*cough* elsevier *cough*) who's journals are "overly expensive". That's one argument in favor of open publishing- after all, the taxpayers paid for the work that went into the articles.

I've been frustrated more than once: our library no longer subscribes to "annual reviews", for example. Personally, I've found that emailing the authors directly circumvents subscription issues.
 
Libraries are great for hitting on hot librarian chicks. You know, the type that wears the glasses and the hair in a tight bun. But then after the library closes, the glasses come off and the hair comes down and Va Va Voom!
 
Topher925 said:
Libraries are great for hitting on hot librarian chicks. You know, the type that wears the glasses and the hair in a tight bun. But then after the library closes, the glasses come off and the hair comes down and Va Va Voom!

You mean like Cloris Leachman in the remake of The Longest Yard?