Is It Legal to Photograph Your Polling Place?

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter physics girl phd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Photo Project
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
physics girl phd
Messages
931
Reaction score
3
The New York Times is collecting polling place photos from the 2008 presidential election.
http://pollingplaces.nytimes.com/
Think it would be possible for us to do the same?

Special Notes:
"Photography of polling places is governed by state and local law — there is no one answer for what is permissible." Ask if you're allowed to take photos, and be respectful: do not include people in your photos if you haven't asked their permission.

I'll post ours here tomorrow, and I invite you to do the same.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it is illegal in Alabama, as it should be.
 
Great idea, dr-pg, I'll try to remember my camera!
 
Pictures outside polling places are apparently no problem. Photographing lines and placards doesn't seem to be any problem at all. But there is some question about taking pictures inside polling places. This varies state to state.

If anyone in intending to do so, I would caution not to use a flash or generally draw attention to yourself, like wearing your SLR around your neck, if you are not going to check your local laws or enforcement policies first.
 
hmm, according to the AG's site it's a bit ambiguous.

http://www.ago.state.al.us/contact_faqs.cfm

Can someone videotape at the polls?
No. General news coverage of candidates and public officials voting and of crowds at the polling place is allowed, but the U.S. Department of Justice has expressed a concern that other videotaping may intimidate voters and it is not allowed.​
 
Last edited by a moderator: