Is it ok to be satisfied?(non-ambitious)

Ofcourse, I agree w/ you rkkane, from 0 to the age of 18(4 years more if you are going to college) You should try to make yourself a perfect guy(in my opinion, that much time is enough) then when you get a job, from there on out, you should start helping your society, the ones that shaped your life, its finally the pay back time. Besides, what comes around goes around. By helping them, you are helping yourself. For those of you who don't believe in this, trying volunteering someplace, the happiness you recieve by helping others is unmatched.

superweirdo said:
Besides, what comes around goes around. By helping them, you are helping yourself.
i have seen no proof of this idea, which is why quite often bad things happen to good people. i just don't see what i owe this society, i didn't choose to be born at this place and this point in time so why should i be grateful?

what about all the other people born into the same benefits i have and who just waste their lives, should give them money when they're begging on the streets or should i look at them with disgust for wasting oppertunities other people in less developed parts of the world would have put to good use if given the chance?

superweirdo said:
No no no, I am satisfied w/ the answer, I just don't get why other people won't wanna help people around you. I get it that it is your life. But don't you have any duties. The society raised you, don't you think that when you grow up, you should pay them back. By helping the ones around you? Trust me, if everyone tries to take care of problems around them instead of just watching tv all day, this world wouldn't have problems anymore.
Well, that's their business. The main difficulty of helping people is recognizing that they are people. They have the right to self-determination over their lives, including the right to refuse your help.

Let me make that painfully clear -- it is entirely possible that no one in the world wants your help.

It's a very remote possibility, IMO, about as remote as the possibility that the quantum particles in my computer will reassemble into a birthday cake, but possible nonetheless. Similarly, if it happens, you'll just have no choice but to accept it.

Last edited:
Ok, this is a philosophy thread so I am guessing that we talk about things that aren't proven real yet in here... like Karma. I believe that most of the people in this world do believe in it. me personally can feel it and seen it happen many times in my life. The thing I don't get is that I have tried to provide all the logics I could but nobody agrees w/ me. Look I don't want to be a stereotype. So either you agree w/ me or I'll agree w/ you. If you want to see my logics, go back and read the stuff and tell me if there are any flaws in them. The thing is, I will teach the philosophy to my son and before I do so, I want to make sure that I, myself am on the right track.

Ok, I got a nice way to prove my theory to you guys. Since you guys say that it is "my life" and I can do whatever I want w/ it including suiciding, smoking, etc. Well, lets suppose your son says that he wants to make love to his sis and says that it is his life and he can do whatever he wants w/ it(he is over 18) Well, do you think it is right?(even if both of the siblings want to do it) No, b/c it goes against morals. I think our duty is part of our morals. It is clear that you should never be a part of harmful addictiveness like smoking. Just like that, it is also clear that you should help the ones around you, build a peaceful community. These are our morals, our duty, we shouldn't step back from them.

morals are relative

Are you intending that if you see other people killing their daughter if they are born when they were wanting a son, you wouldn't complain? Ofcourse, morals are relative but there are common principle. Something that every religion shares. Something that all society inherits. It is helping people. You don't have to dedicate your life to it, but in hte list of to do things in your life, there should one that would improve this world in one perspective.

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
superweirdo said:
Are you intending that if you see other people killing their daughter if they are born when they were wanting a son, you wouldn't complain? Ofcourse, morals are relative but there are common principle. Something that every religion shares. Something that all society inherits. It is helping people. You don't have to dedicate your life to it, but in hte list of to do things in your life, there should one that would improve this world in one perspective.

Well I can't actually see them doing it, but the ancient Athenians (cf. "The Glory that was Greece") used to expose surplus daughters on a hillside. They could kid themselves about this (Mary Renault has a nice exposition of this in one of her novels), but yeah, it was murder. Does it make me hate Pericles, Socrates and all them? The former was in a position to ban the practice and the latter could have preached against it, but neither AFIK did one single thing or ever expressed any disapproval about it.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

superweirdo, do you want to change to world by being a philosopher instead?

You can continue philosophizing during your life as a table tennis player. One does not have to come before the other.

Actually, I was thinking about changing the educational system, which would ofcourse take some power but if I can make improve the educational system enough, everyone will be ambitious.