Is it ok to be satisfied?(non-ambitious)

• Thread starter superweirdo
  • Start date
In summary, Warren thinks it's okay to not push yourself and to not help others if you don't feel motivated. He also thinks it's reasonable to have different opinions on this matter. He sympathizes with pacifists and thinks it's okay to not help others if you're not harming them.
superweirdo
Is it ok to not push yourself? Is it alright if you don't want to make the brown pond you are born in a green lake? Is it right to ignore the crimes and don't help stop what happened to you from happening to others?

Don't try to come up w/ justifications of why it is ok for you to rest in a war. Our mind always comes up w/ logics.

I have opened a shop here selling candies while somewhere else, kids are dyieng b/c of hunger. I know if I would have grown up there, I would have done something about it b/c it would have motivated me but DO I HAVE TO WAIT TO BE MOTIVATED?

Physics news on Phys.org
G.K. Chesterton once said,

G.K. Chesterton said:
Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable.

This thread and your other one seem to me like you're trying to decide which "evils" are more excusable. Ignorance or obsession? Laziness or apprehension?

If you have problems with all of them, then don't excuse any. Do something different.

Last edited:
Is it "okay?" How can anyone other than you answer that question? We all share different concepts of "okay," as Mickey said.

- Warren

I think it's perfectly okay. It's nice of people to have some ambition to better the larger world in a tangible way, but no one is any under obligation unless they're personally responsible for the poor condition in the first place. Reasonable people can certainly disagree about this.

The thing is, I always wanted to be a table tennis player when I grow up but whenever I would tell this to my bro.(8 years old) he would lecture me about people dyieng because of hunger in other countries and If I would have grown up there, I would have done something about it, but just because I have a good atmosphere, doesn't give me the right to ignore all the bad things happening. He told me that I have to contribute in some way. Now, what do I say to that.

It's probably harder to become a successful professional table tennis player (and make enough money to support a family) than it is to become a neurosurgeon.

- Warren

superweirdo said:
The thing is, I always wanted to be a table tennis player when I grow up but whenever I would tell this to my bro.(8 years old) he would lecture me about people dyieng because of hunger in other countries and If I would have grown up there, I would have done something about it, but just because I have a good atmosphere, doesn't give me the right to ignore all the bad things happening. He told me that I have to contribute in some way. Now, what do I say to that.
Wow - your eight year old brother lectures you on what to do with your life? I am just.. stunned. :bugeye:

Make lots of money doing what you like. Contribute a large portion to the international peace charity of your choice. It's a win-win situation.

Of course it's ok, take my situation, I intend to gain a qualification in physics, build an antimatter doomsday device and then hold the world to ransom for x million/billion dollars, it's not much of a dream I'll warrant, but it's a dream none the less, these dreams keep us focused as long as their not too unrealistic and I don't think mine is?

The only philosophers outlook on life that ever struck a deep chord with me was Camus, his book about abandoning the rock that mankind pushes up the hill only for it to roll back down and reinventing what your idea of the meaning of life was a revelation to me. Free yourself of the trite expectations of the society we live in and make up your own goals, unless of course your goals are to conform to societal stereotypes of life, then that's OK too :smile: Nothing wrong with the rat race, having a few sprogs and dying and going to heaven if that's what you want or believe :D

I know in some states it is illegal not to help others in distress. Personally I am a pacifist so I sympathize with your views on war. I do not agree with your outlook but as long as you are not harming others I see nothing wrong with it.
RAD

I agree w/ Dave, we should always help our surrounding, we shouldn't be selfish to our means. We should look out. I always go w/ what my heart says b/c logic can be biased. Whenever I see those sick kids in africa on television, whenever I see chinese govt. killing their own citizens, it makes my heart go on fire... I just want to do something about it. This is my natural instinct, I don't think I should ignore it. However, I do realize my limits too. I believe that in world, everyone should receive food and shelter for the least. From there, it depends on how much hard word you do for how high you go. This is a dream which will probably come true in a century. However, I am willing to give it a shot from an angle I can help w/.

If you guys don't feel like helping, you guys could atleast spent 4 bucks a month and sponsor a kid so he can grow up, live a life, when you will meet him when he is 20 and realize it is all b/c of you, it is a feeling that can never be superceeded, trust me.
http://www.christianchildrensfund.org/sponsorship/sponsorEntry.aspx

This is probably against the rule of this forum to advertise other sites but I request to let this go by b/c it is for a good cause.
Also, pass this on, the more people do it, the better it is.

Yesterday I was watching history channel and it burned my body when I realized how many people hitler and Suddam killed.(Not that I didn't know that before but just seeing the dead bodies by my own eyes was something else) Perhaps, Stalin was right..""One death is a tragedy, but a million deaths are a statistic" Today, I had to go a funeral, my uncle died, just makes me sick to know how many of them do every year b/c I choose to enjoy my life beyond what I should(playing xbox 360 all day)

This day changed my life as I have thrown my xbox 360 away to the trashcan, I have decided that I will only do things that result in some kind of outcome, like playing sports is good for my body, keep me happy and motivated.

I guess this is suppose to be a discussion but I made it more like a sermon, I am sorry, my telling style is more like robust, this is just my idea, feel free to comment coz I don't want to be a stereotype but I just don't get why would people do what they do after realizing all this.(unless you are not disciplined which is another story...)

superweirdo said:

Become a damned good table tennis player and work as a celebrity spokesman for charitable causes. And/or teach poor kids in other countries how to play table tennis. And/or set up domestic table tennis clubs to give kids something to do other than drugs. And/or play on an international table tennis team against the Chinese with friendly sportsmanship, peacefully uniting both east and west, potentially averting a world war.

This list is by no means exhaustive. :tongue2:

Last edited:
Well for me, I guess but don't you think everyone should do something about the brown pond they are born in making a green lake? I mean like how one kennedy said," ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" Sure, we have free rights and everything but we have a duty to the society that grew us up, to pay it back. I think everyone should improve this society in a way.

There's much more to life than a green pond.

It was just an analogy. Believe it or not, helping others is a feeling that is irreplacable. When I am down, nothing is going my way, I just go out and start helping others. Do volunteer works and that sparks some hope, gives me confidence and makes my day. Nothing can ever give me that feeling. Nothing. I am not saying everyone should be a saint but if everyone tries to improve the world they are born in in some way so it will be a better place for their generation to live, I think this world will be just fine within a decade but as we all know that is not going to happen.

What I wonder is why? May be I am brainwashed by my older bro. but his logic seems undeniable.

He is good at everything, any sports he goes to, he kicks butt, when he started drawing, he went to nationals, when he started writing poems, he was recognized nationally, and when he started studying, his score was the highest in his state.(in India, where getting an A is a lot tougher than in America) Which also explains why he wants to get rid of poor people. He tells me that since he is good at everything, he wants to be businessman and have it all. And today, he is one. Someone w/ such a philosophy, such talent, I just can't ignore what he says to me.

superweirdo said:
He tells me that since he is good at everything, he wants to be businessman and have it all. And today, he is one. Someone w/ such a philosophy, such talent, I just can't ignore what he says to me.

Why not? He is not you, he has been given (in my opinion through no virtue of his own) and easy life so far. How has that prepared him to understand YOUR life?

You have found by experiement that helping others gives you positive feedback. Reflect on that and try to break out of the brother-box!

is it wrong to not care about helping others? what are they to me? i only want to help myself and maybe a few others that i care about, if that means stepping on top of other ppl along the way then should i care?

there is always another way around. For example, if we were all relaxed upon ourselves, if peace was all over the world, we wouldn't be advancing this fast. We are advancing b/c we are tense, filled w/ rage of competetion, we want to win really bad. If we become relaxed, satisfied, it is good for yourself, but not as a team. I believe you should have a balance, you should enjoy your life, and take care of your close ones but also see what you stepping on, are you hurting anyone in your way. And while walking, whenever get a chance, help out someone here or there.

However, helping others should me more than just a coincidence, it should by your intention to be good and do good. Now what's wrong w/ that?

It is okey to do anything you want. It is not more "okeish" to pursue your dreams, become rich, marry 4 times, etc etc than it is to sit in a cardbox on a street all day long waiting to meet your creator.

It is YOUR life and everything you do isn't subject to any other authority other than yourself IMHO.

I think you're just making up excuses now, superweirdo. You were given a list of ideas on how being a table tennis player could help save the world, but apparently that doesn't seem interesting anymore.

You could become an inspiring leader for ending world poverty by being good at anything. Science, sports, politics, music, anything. I mean, just look at Bono. :smile:

superweirdo said:
Well for me, I guess but don't you think everyone should do something about the brown pond they are born in making a green lake? I mean like how one kennedy said," ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" Sure, we have free rights and everything but we have a duty to the society that grew us up, to pay it back. I think everyone should improve this society in a way.

You know what that line is good for? Picking up women when you're the president of the United States. Kennedy was a clinical sex addict. He complained while he was on trips, telling the British prime minister that, if he didn't have sex with a woman at least once a day, he would suffer severe headaches.

So, if you like Kennedy's line and its legacy, maybe you should consider a run for the White House.

Last edited:
Mickey
I think that whenever someone is presented with a bevy of opportunities, it is only natural for him/her to get lost. I mean during the communist regime, where you had zero freedom pretty much, people were much happier than they are not, since back there they all had a common purpose that binded them all together - either their political party or the will to survive.

Besides, nowdays, most of the time the goals are nice to look at but are unrealistic or implausible in real-life. You could strive for anything and achieve results, but greatness or success can only be moderately guaranteed.

superweirdo said:
Someone w/ such a philosophy, such talent, I just can't ignore what he says to me.
That's his life, not yours.

I'd hate to be a 'business-man'.

No no no, I am satisfied w/ the answer, I just don't get why other people won't want to help people around you. I get it that it is your life. But don't you have any duties. The society raised you, don't you think that when you grow up, you should pay them back. By helping the ones around you? Trust me, if everyone tries to take care of problems around them instead of just watching tv all day, this world wouldn't have problems anymore.

while that may be true the world would also be problem free if we just killed the people with the problem. people should help themselves and stop relying on others or just die off in the name of evolution :uhh:

Ofcourse, I agree w/ you rkkane, from 0 to the age of 18(4 years more if you are going to college) You should try to make yourself a perfect guy(in my opinion, that much time is enough) then when you get a job, from there on out, you should start helping your society, the ones that shaped your life, its finally the pay back time. Besides, what comes around goes around. By helping them, you are helping yourself. For those of you who don't believe in this, trying volunteering someplace, the happiness you receive by helping others is unmatched.

superweirdo said:
Besides, what comes around goes around. By helping them, you are helping yourself.

i have seen no proof of this idea, which is why quite often bad things happen to good people. i just don't see what i owe this society, i didn't choose to be born at this place and this point in time so why should i be grateful?

what about all the other people born into the same benefits i have and who just waste their lives, should give them money when they're begging on the streets or should i look at them with disgust for wasting oppertunities other people in less developed parts of the world would have put to good use if given the chance?

superweirdo said:
No no no, I am satisfied w/ the answer, I just don't get why other people won't want to help people around you. I get it that it is your life. But don't you have any duties. The society raised you, don't you think that when you grow up, you should pay them back. By helping the ones around you? Trust me, if everyone tries to take care of problems around them instead of just watching tv all day, this world wouldn't have problems anymore.

Well, that's their business. The main difficulty of helping people is recognizing that they are people. They have the right to self-determination over their lives, including the right to refuse your help.

Let me make that painfully clear -- it is entirely possible that no one in the world wants your help.

It's a very remote possibility, IMO, about as remote as the possibility that the quantum particles in my computer will reassemble into a birthday cake, but possible nonetheless. Similarly, if it happens, you'll just have no choice but to accept it.

Last edited:
Ok, this is a philosophy thread so I am guessing that we talk about things that aren't proven real yet in here... like Karma. I believe that most of the people in this world do believe in it. me personally can feel it and seen it happen many times in my life. The thing I don't get is that I have tried to provide all the logics I could but nobody agrees w/ me. Look I don't want to be a stereotype. So either you agree w/ me or I'll agree w/ you. If you want to see my logics, go back and read the stuff and tell me if there are any flaws in them. The thing is, I will teach the philosophy to my son and before I do so, I want to make sure that I, myself am on the right track.

Ok, I got a nice way to prove my theory to you guys. Since you guys say that it is "my life" and I can do whatever I want w/ it including suiciding, smoking, etc. Well, let's suppose your son says that he wants to make love to his sis and says that it is his life and he can do whatever he wants w/ it(he is over 18) Well, do you think it is right?(even if both of the siblings want to do it) No, b/c it goes against morals. I think our duty is part of our morals. It is clear that you should never be a part of harmful addictiveness like smoking. Just like that, it is also clear that you should help the ones around you, build a peaceful community. These are our morals, our duty, we shouldn't step back from them.

morals are relative

Are you intending that if you see other people killing their daughter if they are born when they were wanting a son, you wouldn't complain? Ofcourse, morals are relative but there are common principle. Something that every religion shares. Something that all society inherits. It is helping people. You don't have to dedicate your life to it, but in hte list of to do things in your life, there should one that would improve this world in one perspective.

superweirdo said:
Are you intending that if you see other people killing their daughter if they are born when they were wanting a son, you wouldn't complain? Ofcourse, morals are relative but there are common principle. Something that every religion shares. Something that all society inherits. It is helping people. You don't have to dedicate your life to it, but in hte list of to do things in your life, there should one that would improve this world in one perspective.

Well I can't actually see them doing it, but the ancient Athenians (cf. "The Glory that was Greece") used to expose surplus daughters on a hillside. They could kid themselves about this (Mary Renault has a nice exposition of this in one of her novels), but yeah, it was murder. Does it make me hate Pericles, Socrates and all them? The former was in a position to ban the practice and the latter could have preached against it, but neither AFIK did one single thing or ever expressed any disapproval about it.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

superweirdo, do you want to change to world by being a philosopher instead?

You can continue philosophizing during your life as a table tennis player. One does not have to come before the other.