Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible for a single super-massive black hole

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1
    Is it possible for the same super-massive black hole to appear/be visible in two different places in the universe? If not, what would the implications be if you could determine that this was possible?

I was wondering if anyone had made any theories regarding a phenomena like this being possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2
    Well it is possible, but so far no one has observed such a thing. Some cosmic topologies cause multiple images of space-time to appear at different parts of the sky, so you could get multiple images of a galaxy and its black-hole, but it wouldn't be just one galaxy that repeats. Unfortunately for the idea no such images have been seen in the Cosmic Microwave Background, so the characteristic size of the Universe must be bigger than the visible bit... and thus unobservable. We may never know.

4. Nov 13, 2009 #3
    I was wondering what effects a very large gravity could have on the fabric of space if it was curved. If the gravity could actually create a pull on a seperate section of the universe if the folds were close enough and the gravity large enough.

5. Nov 13, 2009 #4
    Only if it folds over in hyperspace. Regular General Relativity can make no such prediction but higher dimensional versions which confine matter-fields to a 4-brane that is folded in higher dimensions allow gravity to travel between the folds. Currently there's no observational evidence that this happens, unless "dark matter" is somehow involved - perhaps all galaxies are really close together in hyperspace? But that seems unlikely since "dark matter" gravity seems to follow the distribution of "bright matter" very closely.

6. Nov 13, 2009 #5
    I guess when you start talking about these kind of things you start to dabble in the science fiction. It would be really neat if you could know one way or another, but their would really be no way to know I guess.

7. Nov 13, 2009 #6
    If you consider gravitational lensing then yes, this is possible, and the same objects have absolutely been observed in two different places in the Universe!

8. Nov 13, 2009 #7
    I have read about gravitational lensing and understand that it is a manipulation and magnification of the light around a very large gravity.

I guess I mean, can anything actually be in two separate parts of the Universe at the same time due to intense gravity or other phenomena? I'm not really meaning anything as pretty as a wormhole, but something operating on the same principle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook