Is it possible for photons to dissappear in vacuum.

In summary, Kerson Huang discusses photons as the quanta of the Electromagnetic field, and explains that their number is not conserved and they may be created and absorbed singly. This means that the Lagrange multiplier corresponding to total number is absent and the chemical potential is zero. However, there is still some confusion about the disappearance of photons into vacuum and whether they are considered "real" particles in different contexts. It is important to note that a photon cannot truly disappear into vacuum as it would violate conservation laws. Rather, it is absorbed by another particle, changing the energy of the system.
leoneri
Hi, I am reading Introduction to Statistical Physics by Kerson Huang. On chapter 10 about Bose Gas, a statement intrigued me. He explains Photons.

"Photons are the quanta of the Electromagnetic field. They are bosons whose number is not conserved, for they may be created and absorbed singly. The Lagrange multiplier corresponding to total number is absent, and the chemical potential [tex]\mu[/tex] is zero. This means that the particles can dissappear into the vacuum."

I can't help but wondering myself if this is really true. If it's gone then where does it go? Is it disappear because Photon is a quantization of energy and not a 'real' particle? What is the definition of vacuum in this context?

From my Physics course, what I understand about EM field is that an exponential decay ~[tex]e^{-x}[/tex] only occurs when there is material (and hence not vacuum) that absorbs the photons. While in vacuum, the field will oscillate harmonically ~[tex]~ e^{i x}[/tex] and will goes on forever ...

Physics news on Phys.org
you can represent things in different contexts, for instance in high energy physics the photon is treated as a "real" particle just as everyone else.

Now in statistical mechanics, photons are excitations of the EM field as you said, and what "This means that the particles can dissappear into the vacuum" only means that we also can deexcite the EM-field to the ground state - i.e. no excitations in energy and hence no photons - and the vacuum is just a fancy word for the ground state.

A photon cannot "disappear into vacuum". Each photon has a non-zero momentum and energy. Photon's disappearance would mean violation of both momentum and energy conservation laws.

Eugene.

meopemuk said:
A photon cannot "disappear into vacuum". Each photon has a non-zero momentum and energy. Photon's disappearance would mean violation of both momentum and energy conservation laws.

Eugene.

And angular momentum.

Torquil

It can disapear but it just means that it's absorbed by another particle. If you have changed the Energy of a system, you must have a particle scattered by that.

1. Can photons really disappear in a vacuum?

Yes, photons can disappear in a vacuum. This is because a vacuum is an environment that lacks matter and therefore does not have any particles to interact with the photons.

2. How do photons disappear in a vacuum?

Photons can disappear in a vacuum through a process called pair production, where a photon is converted into an electron and a positron. This can happen when a photon has enough energy to create a pair of particles.

3. Is it possible for photons to reappear after disappearing in a vacuum?

Yes, photons can reappear after disappearing in a vacuum. This can happen through a process called annihilation, where an electron and a positron collide and produce two photons.

4. Can photons disappear in other environments besides a vacuum?

Yes, photons can disappear in other environments besides a vacuum. This can happen in materials such as glass, where photons can be absorbed and re-emitted, resulting in a delay and loss of energy.

5. How does the disappearance of photons in a vacuum affect our understanding of light?

The disappearance of photons in a vacuum is an important phenomenon that helps us understand the nature of light. It shows us that light can behave both as a wave and a particle, and that it can be affected by its environment. This concept has furthered our understanding of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.