Is it possible to calculate Tsupercon from the unit cell?

In summary, scientists are able to synthesize high temperature superconductors but without the underlying theory.
jonjacson
Hi folks,

It is an elementary question for people expert in superconductivity.

I know there is a theory, the BCS theory, and the GIzburg Landau theory too that apparently explains superconductivity.

My question is, if I give you a unit cell would you be able to tell me the temperature at which that solid enters into the superconducting state?

And the same question for high temperature superconductors, Is there a theory that tells you the Tc if the unit cell is known?

Physics news on Phys.org
For BCS (conventional) superconductor it is possible to calculate Tc if you know the structure (which we nearly always do, we are very, very good at determining crystal structures). However, you need advanced computer simulations to do so, it can't be done analytically.

High temperature superconductor are very different. We do not even fully understand why these materials are superconducting, meaning there are no models that can be used to predict Tc.

Likes jonjacson
f95toli said:
For BCS (conventional) superconductor it is possible to calculate Tc if you know the structure (which we nearly always do, we are very, very good at determining crystal structures). However, you need advanced computer simulations to do so, it can't be done analytically.

High temperature superconductor are very different. We do not even fully understand why these materials are superconducting, meaning there are no models that can be used to predict Tc.

Thanks!

So scientists are able to synthesize them but without the underlying theory, interesting.

jonjacson said:
Thanks!

So scientists are able to synthesize them but without the underlying theory, interesting.

We do have SOME ideas about what makes them superconducting (e.g. the role of the CuO2 in the cuprates) so it is not like the chemists are just combining elements at random, if you look at the structure of say the cuprates you will find that they have a similar structure so that is a clue.

But yes, it is very possible that there are many more superconducting compounds out there that we don't know of (see the fairly recent discovery of the pnictides)

Likes jonjacson
Look into:
The Eliashberg-Migdal formalism (basically extended BCS theory), and also
Dynamical Mean Field Theory (Kotliar) which has successfully predicted a superconductor (if I recall correctly, it was high-temperature).

It's complicated stuff!

Likes jonjacson
Thanks!

I will have a look.

I know, but it is very interesting.

1. Can Tsupercon be calculated accurately from the unit cell?

Yes, it is possible to calculate Tsupercon from the unit cell using various theoretical models and experimental techniques.

2. What is the significance of calculating Tsupercon from the unit cell?

Calculating Tsupercon from the unit cell can provide valuable insights into the physical properties of superconducting materials and help in the development of new superconductors with higher critical temperatures.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of calculating Tsupercon from the unit cell?

The accuracy of calculating Tsupercon from the unit cell can be affected by factors such as the quality of the crystal structure, the strength of the electron-phonon coupling, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material.

4. Are there limitations to calculating Tsupercon from the unit cell?

Yes, there are limitations to calculating Tsupercon from the unit cell, as it is a complex process that involves theoretical assumptions and experimental uncertainties. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculations may vary for different types of superconducting materials.

5. How do experimental techniques contribute to calculating Tsupercon from the unit cell?

Experimental techniques such as X-ray diffraction, neutron scattering, and spectroscopy play a crucial role in determining the crystal structure and electronic properties of superconducting materials, which are essential for calculating Tsupercon from the unit cell.