Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to conserve gravity ?

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    Is it possible to conserve gravity ??

Is it possible to conserve gravity ??

If mass is from gravity and that mass is a form of energy which ..both the mass and the energy ..can be conserve ..then can the gravity also be conserve.??

How can you tell that a certain variable is conserved?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2

Lok

Re: Is it possible to conserve gravity ??

Yes. I'm conserving my gravity all the time.

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Conservation of gravity" is not something which has a clear meaning (or any meaning at all in fact) in known physics. There is, as you say, conservation of energy, or mass-energy if you want, conservation of charge, and still a lot of other conservation laws, but "conservation of gravity" doesn't seem to make much sense.
    The reason for that is that "conservation" means something very precise in physics: it means that a quantity remains "the same" (or equivalent) for a given system if that system evolves over time. However, "gravity" is not a specific quantity. It is an entire theory, or an interaction if you want to. It is not a number, or another mathematical quantity such as a vector. So one wouldn't really know what it would mean, if "gravity were conserved", except in a kind of colloquial way like "the theory of gravity is conserved over the centuries" or something of the kind.

5. Jul 20, 2009 #4

negitron

Science Advisor

I think by "gravity" he means specifically G x m, which is as far as anyone can tell, a conserved quantity.

6. Aug 4, 2010 #5

yes if there is gravity field it would be conserved, makes sense to me

7. Aug 5, 2010 #6

Well, gravity is a conservative force. The only force I can think of that isn' conservative is friction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook