1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to conserve gravity ?

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    Is it possible to conserve gravity ??

Is it possible to conserve gravity ??

If mass is from gravity and that mass is a form of energy which ..both the mass and the energy ..can be conserve ..then can the gravity also be conserve.??

How can you tell that a certain variable is conserved?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2

Lok

Re: Is it possible to conserve gravity ??

Yes. I'm conserving my gravity all the time.

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Conservation of gravity" is not something which has a clear meaning (or any meaning at all in fact) in known physics. There is, as you say, conservation of energy, or mass-energy if you want, conservation of charge, and still a lot of other conservation laws, but "conservation of gravity" doesn't seem to make much sense.
    The reason for that is that "conservation" means something very precise in physics: it means that a quantity remains "the same" (or equivalent) for a given system if that system evolves over time. However, "gravity" is not a specific quantity. It is an entire theory, or an interaction if you want to. It is not a number, or another mathematical quantity such as a vector. So one wouldn't really know what it would mean, if "gravity were conserved", except in a kind of colloquial way like "the theory of gravity is conserved over the centuries" or something of the kind.

5. Jul 20, 2009 #4

negitron

Science Advisor

I think by "gravity" he means specifically G x m, which is as far as anyone can tell, a conserved quantity.

6. Aug 4, 2010 #5

yes if there is gravity field it would be conserved, makes sense to me

7. Aug 5, 2010 #6

Well, gravity is a conservative force. The only force I can think of that isn' conservative is friction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook