Is it possible to create a plot with tick labels as multiples of pi in MATLAB?

  • Topic: MATLAB 
  • Thread starter Thread starter danago
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matlab Plot Scale
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 25K views
danago
Gold Member
Messages
1,118
Reaction score
4
I want to create a plot, but want the horizontal axis to have increments as multiples of pi eg. {0, pi/2, pi, 3pi/2, ... }

Is this at all possible in matlab?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes - you can set where the tick marks are on an axis:

This will control where the ticks go (use whatever range you want):
set(gca,'XTick',0:pi/2:3*pi/2)

(Note that gca returns the handle for the current set of axes)

This will control the labels for the ticks:
set(gca,'XTickLabel',{'0','pi/2','pi','3pi/2'})


So you can attach text labels to all of your tick marks - make sure that you have the correct number of labels - I think if you have more tick marks than labels, MATLAB will just cycle back through your list of labels for the extra tick marks. Also, I know that MATLAB supports some tex and latex formatting so that you could display [tex]\pi[/tex] instead of pi, but I'm not sure if that is supported for tick labels (and if it is I'd have to play around with it to figure out how that works).
 
Thanks very much, exactly what i was after :smile:
 
Unfortunately, MATLAB can't display tex characters in tick labels.

From MATLAB help - keyword: Axes properties:

...
Note that tick labels do not interpret TeX character sequences (however, the Title, XLabel, YLabel, and ZLabel properties do).