Is it possible to find dy given the values of dx and v?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
MIIF
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


This isn't really a homework problem/question. I am just wondering if it is possible to calculate the vertical distance (dy) when the only given values are those of the horizontal distance (dx) and velocity (v). An example of this projectile-motion problem would be this:

A ball is tossed from a balcony with a velocity of 3.2m/s to a horizontal distance of 10m. From what height was it tossed?

Homework Equations


vx=dx/t
vy=gt
v^2=vx^2+vy^2

The Attempt at a Solution


IMG_20180329_214854.jpg

Since there is an imaginary number in the solution set of x or t^2, there must be no time, which means that the given values are not enough to determine the value of the vertical distance or height, right? I'm really not sure if it's just because the given values don't really match or if there really is no way to get dy just from the specified data. But, I think that it may be possible to do so with matching data.[/B]
 
Attachments
  • IMG_20180329_214854.jpg
    IMG_20180329_214854.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 628
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's not possible to get a solution unless you specify either the height or the direction, as well as the magnitude, of the initial velocity. If the questioner intends you to assume that the initial velocity is horizontal, it can be solved.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: MIIF