Is it possible to find dy given the values of dx and v?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the vertical distance using only the given values of horizontal distance and velocity in a projectile motion problem. It is concluded that in order to find the vertical distance, additional information such as the direction or magnitude of the initial velocity must be provided.
MIIF

Homework Statement

This isn't really a homework problem/question. I am just wondering if it is possible to calculate the vertical distance (dy) when the only given values are those of the horizontal distance (dx) and velocity (v). An example of this projectile-motion problem would be this:

A ball is tossed from a balcony with a velocity of 3.2m/s to a horizontal distance of 10m. From what height was it tossed?

Homework Equations

vx=dx/t
vy=gt
v^2=vx^2+vy^2

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20180329_214854.jpg

Since there is an imaginary number in the solution set of x or t^2, there must be no time, which means that the given values are not enough to determine the value of the vertical distance or height, right? I'm really not sure if it's just because the given values don't really match or if there really is no way to get dy just from the specified data. But, I think that it may be possible to do so with matching data.[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20180329_214854.jpg
    IMG_20180329_214854.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's not possible to get a solution unless you specify either the height or the direction, as well as the magnitude, of the initial velocity. If the questioner intends you to assume that the initial velocity is horizontal, it can be solved.

Likes MIIF

1. Can I solve for dy if I know the values of dx and v?

Yes, it is possible to find the value of dy if you know the values of dx and v. This can be done using the formula dy = v * dx, where v is the velocity and dx is the change in position.

2. Is it necessary to know the velocity and change in position to find dy?

Yes, in order to solve for dy, you will need to know both the velocity and change in position. These two values are essential in determining the change in height or distance traveled.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of motion?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of motion, whether it is linear or circular. As long as you have the values of dx and v, you can use this formula to find dy.

4. Is there a specific unit of measurement for dy?

The unit of measurement for dy will depend on the units used for dx and v. For example, if dx is measured in meters and v is measured in meters per second, then dy will be in meters.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of this equation?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of this equation, such as air resistance, friction, and external forces. These factors may not be accounted for in the formula and can impact the actual change in height or distance traveled.