Is it possible to have a measurement with no uncertainty?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
wumple
Messages
57
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If you were to measure ten identical measurements, would that imply that your measurement of the wavelength had no uncertainty? what would the uncertainty of the measurement be in that case?


Homework Equations



n/a

The Attempt at a Solution


I am thinking no because there would still be the presence of systematic uncertainties, ie flaws within the design of the experiment. But the problem seems to imply that there is a specific number, which is the part which I'm unsure of. Am I on the right track?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Any measuring device has a limited accuracy. Think about when you measure something with just one reading, what do you use for the uncertainty in those cases?