Is it possible to ionize a molecule?

• Thread starter menergyam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, it is possible to take away an electron from O2 and still have the O2 be bonded. However, the ionization potential of O2+ will be smaller than that of O.
menergyam
If I have O2, and I want to make it positively charged, don't I have to break the O2 bond and then ionize the two oxygen elements to get two positively charged Oxygen atoms? Is it possible to take away an electron from O2 and still have the O2 be bonded? It is not possible right?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It's possible. Singly-ionized O2 will still bond. Even singly-ionized H2 bonds. It's more a question of whether you excite electrons into the anti-bonding [tex]\pi^\star[/tex] orbital, or transfer a large amount of vibrational energy to the molecule while ionizing it.

That said, O2+ won't stay ionized for very long if it has the chance to grab an electron from some other, less electronegative, atom.

Cool. So to calculate the first ionization for O2, would it be the same as the first ionization for O? I really don't think its that simple. There must be a different formula, right?

menergyam said:
Cool. So to calculate the first ionization for O2, would it be the same as the first ionization for O? I really don't think its that simple. There must be a different formula, right?

Yes, the IP of O2 should be smaller than for O. This is easily predicted since the molecule has more electrons to counter the charge, and secondly, the charge can be distributed over two atoms instead of one. (And it's a general chemical principle that the more distributed a charge is, the more stable it is, i.o.w. less energy)

Ionization potentials (with the single exception of the hydrogen atom) can't be calculated using any simple formula. You need the quantum-mechanical description of the system. It's roughly equal to the energy of the HOMO (Highest occupied molecular orbital) when calculated using the Hartree-Fock method (Koopmans' theorem), due to some rather nifty error cancellations.

Last edited:

1. Can any molecule be ionized?

Yes, any molecule can be ionized given the right conditions. This process involves adding or removing electrons from a molecule, resulting in a charged particle called an ion.

2. What methods are used to ionize a molecule?

There are several methods used to ionize a molecule, including electron impact ionization, electrospray ionization, and laser ionization. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of molecules.

3. Why is ionization of molecules important in scientific research?

Ionization of molecules plays a crucial role in many scientific processes, such as mass spectrometry, chemical analysis, and understanding chemical reactions. It allows scientists to study the structure, composition, and properties of molecules in a controlled environment.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with ionizing a molecule?

Yes, there can be potential risks associated with ionizing a molecule, especially if done in a laboratory setting. This process can release harmful substances or create unstable conditions, so proper safety precautions should always be taken.

5. Can ionization of a molecule be reversed?

Yes, ionization of a molecule can be reversed by adding or removing electrons to restore the molecule to its original state. This process is known as deionization and is often used in applications such as water treatment and purification.