Are Cl2, O2 , H2 etc neutral molecules?

In summary, the molecules of Cl2, O2, H2, etc. are all neutral as they consist of atoms with an equal number of protons and electrons. This is in contrast to ionic compounds such as NaCl, where the atoms have a net charge. While covalent bonds can form between atoms, the resulting molecule will still be neutral. This concept is often taught in high school chemistry, where students are asked to memorize the diatomic molecules HON-Cl-BrIF. Ozone (O3) is also an example of a neutral molecule.
HCverma
Are Cl2, O2 , H2 etc are nutral molecules?
As we know their atoms are neutral such as Cl. It has 17 protons and 17 electrons. Because it has the equal number of protons and electrons, it is a natural element. But when two Cl atoms combine through covalent bond by sharing a pair of electrons and make Cl2, then is the Cl2 molecule natural as above?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the definition of "neutral"? Do these molecules fit that definition?
(BTW, "neutral" means something different from "natural" - or was that just your spellchecker?)

mjc123 said:
What is the definition of "neutral"? Do these molecules fit that definition?
(BTW, "neutral" means something different from "natural" - or was that just your spellchecker?)
I know that the atoms fit the definition above, but I don't know whether those molecules are neutral or ionic as they all make covalent bonds.

A covalent bond is by definition not ionic. For example, NaCl is a neutral compound (no net charge), but it consists of Na+ and Cl- ions in a lattice, without covalent bonds between them. Cl2 consists of discrete molecules containing two chlorine atoms covalently bonded. The molecule has no net charge and is therefore neutral.

One of the first things I remember learning in a high school chemistry class, (I subsequently had an advanced high school chemistry class and 3 quarters of university chemistry), is that ## H, O, N, Cl, Br, I,## and ## F ## make diatomic molecules in their natural state. They had us memorize this: HON-Cl-BrIF , and I found it quite useful.

HCverma said:
Are Cl2, O2 , H2 etc are nutral molecules?
As we know their atoms are neutral such as Cl. It has 17 protons and 17 electrons. Because it has the equal number of protons and electrons, it is a natural element. But when two Cl atoms combine through covalent bond by sharing a pair of electrons and make Cl2, then is the Cl2 molecule natural as above?

Do you mean "neutral" or "natural"?

PeterDonis said:
Do you mean "neutral" or "natural"?
I mean 'neutral'

HCverma said:
I mean 'neutral'
Yes they are neutral. I had to google ## O_3 ##=ozone to see if it was also electically neutral, and that does appear to be the case for ozone as well.

1. What are the properties of neutral molecules?

Neutral molecules, such as Cl2, O2, and H2, have no overall charge and contain an equal number of positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons. They are typically odorless, colorless, and have low reactivity.

2. How do neutral molecules differ from ions?

Neutral molecules have no overall charge, while ions have a positive or negative charge due to the loss or gain of electrons. Neutral molecules also have a lower reactivity compared to ions.

3. Can neutral molecules form chemical bonds?

Yes, neutral molecules can form chemical bonds with other neutral molecules or with charged particles such as ions. These bonds are formed through the sharing or transfer of electrons between atoms.

4. What is the role of neutral molecules in atmospheric composition?

Neutral molecules, such as O2 and N2, make up the majority of the Earth's atmosphere and play a crucial role in regulating temperature and supporting life. They also act as a barrier against harmful radiation from the sun.

5. How are neutral molecules used in industrial processes?

Neutral molecules have a wide range of uses in various industrial processes. For example, O2 is used in steel production and H2 is used in the production of ammonia and other chemicals. Cl2 is used in water treatment and in the production of plastics and solvents.