Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to label the Debye temperature on a graph of

1. May 4, 2015 #1
    Resistivity. Take this graph for example, is the Debye temperature relavant here? Would the Debye temperature be the point where the semiconductor starts to become like a metal? i.e. where the curve goes from minimum to linear?

Image66.gif

I understand the heat capacity relation i.e. from T^3 to 3nNk but struggling with the resistivity relation.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2015 #2
    This temperature is related to the excitation energy of the donors.Why do you think it will be related to Debye temperature?

4. May 7, 2015 #3
    We have done several derivations that have different results for temperatures below and above the debye temperature. But I'm struggling to relate it to the resistivity of a material. Are you saying it would not represent anything significant on the above graph?

thanks for the reply!

5. May 7, 2015 #4
    Derivations of what?

6. May 7, 2015 #5
    Einstein’s approximation for the lattice contribution to the heat capacity
    Phonon contribution to the thermal conductivity with the temperature
    Electron-Phonon scattering: contribution to thermal electronic transport relaxation
    Electron-Phonon scattering: contribution to charge electronic transport relaxation
    Debye’s model for the lattice contribution to the heat capacity

All these for high and low debye temperatures

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook