Is it possible to rectify mistakes?

• Thread starter TyndallEffect
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of getting into a masters program with a low GPA due to undiagnosed psychological issues during college. The participants suggest retaking courses, gaining research experience, and finding a job in the field to improve chances of admission. However, a 2.5 GPA is a major barrier and it is recommended to focus on building a career with the current degree.
TyndallEffect
Hello everyone,
I apologize if I'm beating the same dead horse that has been beaten a thousand times on this forum, but of all the different "I sucked at college but can I get a PhD anyway?" threads, I'm not sure anyone "sucked at college" the way that I did haha. So, long story short, I ended up with an extremely poor GPA of 2.5 predominantly because I ended up getting a D in Calc 1 when I should have failed, and played catch up the rest of the calc sequence. It wasn't until after college was over (I've been teaching AP physics for some years now) that I was diagnosed and began treatment for some Psych issues that had been untreated during my college years.

To the question: I understand the reason I did poorly was because I didn't do what was necessary. I've been working my way through the Calc sequence again independently and intend on doing the same with the advanced undergrad physics courses (Electro, Quantum...). With absolutely no research experience, is there a way I can prove that I have matured as a student and possibly make it into a masters program? Would I have to retake undergrad courses?

Anything? :yuck:

Thank you all for your time, and for dealing with yet another sob story!

Tyler

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention that I'd specifically be interested in Applied Physics or Medical Physics if that modifies anything.

Hi Tyler,

Medical physics programs are very competative to begin with. In recent years most students that have gotten into the programs that I'm familiar with have had GPAs of 3.5 or greater. At 2.5, you're generally below the minimum cutoff for most graduate admissions. That means unless you're able to improve this, its highly unlikely that your application package will ever get beyond the first set of filters.

Unfortunately brushing up on coursework afterward, doesn't give an admission committee any kind of tangible evidence of how much more you understand the material in comparison to the other applicants. So while this is great for your own understanding, it won't help you in the application process.

Now that it's been a few years, you may be able to either re-take some courses or take some different senior level courses. If you can demonstate that having your psyhological issues under control makes a big difference and you are now capable of obtaining competative grades, then you have a solid case.

Something else that might help is to look for work as a physics assistant in a radiation therapy department if your final goal is medical physics. Bachelor degree-level physics grads are commonly accepted for these positions and it will help you learn about the field.

A 2.5 GPA is an almost insurmountable barrier to admission into a graduate program in any field. A 3.0GPA is the bare minimum GPA for admission to almost all graduate programs in the U.S. At my university, it is impossible to get around this requirement, as it is a university wide requirement. The director of graduate studies for physics would need to get special approval from the dean to admit you.

Additionally most grad schools require a minimum GPA of 3.0 to remain in the program once you are there. Studying independently will not help overcome these barriers to admission as there is no record of improvement that you can show.

The best thing to do would be to find a job that allows you to use the skills from your undergrad degree and help you gain experience for a future career. (Choppy has some good suggestions.) You can retake courses for credit on a part time basis, and it might help your case if you see exceptional improvement in your scores. A lab tech job could help with research experience.

However, the facts on the ground are that, in your case, the barriers for admission to a graduate program are exceptionally high. In my opinion you should focus most of your energy and finances on building a career from the degree you already have.

I can assure you that it is definitely possible to rectify mistakes. In fact, it is a fundamental part of the scientific process. Science is all about learning from our mistakes and constantly striving for improvement. Just like in the lab, where we may have to repeat experiments multiple times to get the desired results, in life we can also make mistakes and use them as learning opportunities to grow and improve.

In your situation, it is commendable that you have recognized your past mistakes and are taking steps to rectify them. It takes courage and determination to do so, and that is a valuable trait for any scientist. As for your question about getting into a master's program, it is certainly possible. Admissions committees understand that students may face challenges and obstacles during their academic journey, and they will consider your overall academic record as well as any improvements you have made.

Furthermore, your experience as an AP physics teacher can also be a valuable asset in your application. It shows that you have a strong understanding of the subject and the ability to effectively communicate it to others. You may also want to consider reaching out to potential advisors or professors at the master's program you are interested in and discussing your situation with them. They may be able to provide valuable insight and guidance on how to strengthen your application.

In terms of retaking undergraduate courses, it may not be necessary if you can demonstrate your understanding and proficiency in those subjects through your independent study. However, it ultimately depends on the specific requirements of the program you are applying to.

In summary, while your past mistakes may have impacted your academic record, it is never too late to turn things around and pursue your goals. Keep working hard and showcasing your dedication and determination, and I am confident that you can overcome any challenges and achieve your aspirations. Good luck!

1. Can all mistakes be rectified?

No, not all mistakes can be rectified. Some mistakes may have long-lasting consequences that cannot be undone.

2. How do you know if a mistake can be rectified?

It depends on the nature and severity of the mistake. Some mistakes can be easily fixed, while others may require more effort and resources to rectify.

3. Is it possible to rectify a mistake without causing further harm?

In some cases, yes. However, in other cases, rectifying a mistake may cause additional harm or unintended consequences. It is important to carefully consider the potential impact before taking action.

4. Can rectifying a mistake change the outcome?

Sometimes, yes. Rectifying a mistake may lead to a different outcome than if the mistake had not been made in the first place. However, it is not always possible to predict how a mistake will affect the outcome.

5. How can we prevent making mistakes in the first place?

While it is impossible to completely eliminate mistakes, we can take steps to minimize the chances of making them. These can include double-checking our work, seeking feedback and advice from others, and learning from past mistakes to improve our processes and decision-making.