Is it possible to screw off the cap of an Argon/Oxygen-bottle?

• Thread starter Prometium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screw
In summary, Prometium is researching ways to load a water bottle with hydrogen to create a fuel cell. However, he has concerns about the safety of the process, as well as the potential for the hydrogen to be unsafe. He also suggests using a high pressure compressor to create the hydrogen.
Prometium
Maybe strange question, but I would like to use an Argon/Oxygen 20 L bottle to load with water, NaOH and Al to make hydrogen for a fuel cell project. So, to load this bottle I'm thinking of screwing off the cap, then put it back again. I can imagine this is very hard tighten. I would like to have around 150 bars of pressure.

Of course I put safety first, and before I try anything, I'll get to know all the knowledge about this.

Another option would be to generate hydrogen without pressure and then pump it in a bottle. I'm not sure what's safest yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Prometium. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Let me know when you're about to try this, so I can leave town beforehand.

Apart from the safety issues, will your fuel cell mind being fed hydrogen contaminated with caustic soda and aluminium salt?

In any case, you'd need a metal tank with an inert inner coating, else the NaOH will start to dissolve the vessel or the valve and fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
Hi Prometium. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Let me know when you're about to try this, so I can leave town beforehand.

Apart from the safety issues, will your fuel cell mind being fed hydrogen contaminated with caustic soda and aluminium salt?

In any case, you'd need a metal tank with an inert inner coating, else the NaOH will start to dissolve the vessel or the valve and fittings.

I have made some research and found that the type of generating in an Argon-tube isn't safe enough. According to what I know, Na is more reactive then Fe, so no reaction. This generating bottle was also supposed to only load pressure, then tanked over in another dry and clean bottle. If this generating bottle is below freezing point of water when it's about to load over to the next, I have problems believe that anything more than H2 comes over. But for safety, I quit this idea.

I'm more into pumping H2 from atm. pressure with a high pressure compressor in an Argon/Oxygen bottle. What might be the risk? The H2 is pretty (totally?) inert at room temperature, and the bottle is probably affected by this loading as it would be from Argon/Oxygen. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometium said:
I'm more into pumping H2 from atm. pressure with a high pressure compressor in an Argon/Oxygen bottle. What might be the risk? The H2 is pretty (totally?) inert at room temperature, and the bottle is probably affected by this loading as it would be from Argon/Oxygen. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hydrogen is notorious for leaking through tiny gaps or even solid materials, causing material compatibility problems, and for violently exploding in a very wide range of concentrations. If you have to ask these questions, you probably shouldn't be messing with it.

Could you just buy a cylinder of hydrogen?

Prometium said:
I can't comment on safe handling of gases, it's not my field. I did comment on what I saw as dangerous handling in case no one else did. Have you consulted with a nearby chem department to see how they buy hydrogen?

1. Can the cap of an Argon/Oxygen-bottle be easily removed?

It depends on the type of cap and the method used to secure it. Some caps may require special tools or techniques to remove, while others may be easily twisted off by hand.

2. Is it dangerous to remove the cap of an Argon/Oxygen-bottle?

Yes, it can be dangerous if the bottle is pressurized or contains any hazardous materials. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and precautions when handling these types of bottles.

3. What is the purpose of the cap on an Argon/Oxygen-bottle?

The cap helps to seal and protect the contents of the bottle from outside elements or contamination. It also serves as a safety measure to prevent accidental spills or leaks.

4. Can the cap be reused after it has been removed?

It depends on the type of cap and the condition it is in after being removed. Some caps may be able to be reattached and used again, while others may need to be replaced.

5. Are there any special precautions to take when removing the cap of an Argon/Oxygen-bottle?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear and follow proper safety procedures when removing the cap. It is also important to check the pressure and contents of the bottle before attempting to remove the cap.