Is it safe to touch a gel casting tray with bare hands

• Thread starter Swetha K
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Casting
In summary, Swetha touched an empty gel casting tray that had been used for gel electrophoresis. She learned that ethidium bromide is a mutagen and carcinogenic and teratogenic. She is concerned and wants to know if it is safe. She should talk to her safety coordinator about the safety rules for that lab.
Swetha K
Hi everyone,

I just touched empty gel casting tray with bare hands which was used for Gel Electrophoresis in which Ethidium bromide was used. I came to know that ethidium bromide is a mutagen and carcinogenic and teratogenic. I am panicked and worried. Is it safe? Kindly answer me.

Regards,
Swetha

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
If the tray was empty and cleaned out, there was probably very little ethidium bromide left in it, if any at all. That said, we can’t dispense medical advice on the forum. If you’re really concerned, see a doctor.

Likes BillTre and berkeman
The dangers of ethidium bromide are often exaggerated
ethidium bromide, as far as can be told from the data, is not a human mutagen. It’s not a mouse mutagen or rat mutagen either. Nor apparently a mutagen in cows and other farm animals, where it’s used in veterinary medicine at concentrations one thousand times higher than the red solutions that are so feared in biology labs, seemingly with no bad effects. It’s not even Ames-positive by itself, but only after it’s been exposed to metabolizing enzymes, which tells you that some derivative of it has mutagenic potential, should you ingest it and send it through your liver, but apparently not the parent compound.
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2016/04/18/the-myth-of-ethidium-bromide
It should still be handled with caution, just like you would handle any other standard laboratory reagent (i.e. do use gloves when handling the gel casting trays in the future). However, exposure to trace amounts insert going to kill you or doom you to cancer. If you do get exposed to EB on your bare hands again, be sure to wash them with soap.

Likes BillTre
Swetha K said:
Hi everyone,

I just touched empty gel casting tray with bare hands which was used for Gel Electrophoresis in which Ethidium bromide was used. I came to know that ethidium bromide is a mutagen and carcinogenic and teratogenic. I am panicked and worried. Is it safe? Kindly answer me.

Regards,
Swetha
Welcome to the PF, Swetha. :smile:

You have gotten good responses in the thread so far, so at this point we will go ahead and close it. As mentioned, if you are worried, please see your doctor for advice.

Beyond that, though, I'd have a talk with your safety coordinator for that lab. It sounds like you should not have been handling materials and equipment there without the proper PPE (personal protective equipment) like gloves, etc. Please follow-up to be sure that all users of that lab understand the safety rules associated with using that lab. Thank you.

Likes BillTre and jim mcnamara

1. Is it safe to touch a gel casting tray with bare hands?

It is generally safe to touch a gel casting tray with bare hands, as long as the tray is not hot or contains any hazardous materials. However, it is recommended to wear gloves when handling any laboratory equipment to prevent contamination.

2. Are there any risks associated with touching a gel casting tray with bare hands?

The main risk associated with touching a gel casting tray with bare hands is potential contamination of the gel or samples. This can affect the accuracy and reliability of experimental results.

3. Can touching a gel casting tray with bare hands affect the gel or samples?

Yes, touching a gel casting tray with bare hands can transfer oils, dirt, and bacteria onto the gel or samples, which can alter their composition and affect the results of the experiment.

4. How can I prevent contamination when handling a gel casting tray?

To prevent contamination, it is best to wear gloves when handling a gel casting tray. Additionally, make sure to clean and disinfect the tray before and after use to minimize the risk of contamination.

5. Are there any other safety precautions I should take when handling a gel casting tray?

Aside from wearing gloves and keeping the tray clean, it is important to follow proper handling techniques to avoid any accidents or injuries. This includes using caution when handling sharp objects and avoiding contact with any hazardous materials that may be present in the gel or samples.