Is it too late to become a physicist?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is too late for someone who is 24 years old and graduating with a business major to pursue a second bachelor's degree in physics. It is mentioned that the person has already taken an undergraduate physics course in their current college and will be 25 or 26 when they start the physics major. Several individuals in the conversation offer their opinions, with some saying that it is never too late and others suggesting that the person should consider their own goals and abilities. The estimated time it takes to become a physicist is also mentioned, with an average of 13 years including a B.Sc, Ph.D, and postdoctoral work. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide if they think it is too
kajusu
I am now 24 and graduating a business major. I want to go for a second bachelors degree in physics. I already took an undergraduate physics course in my current college. I will be 25 or 26 when i start a physics major. Is it too late?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is ever too late to start.

kajusu said:
I am now 24 and graduating a business major. I want to go for a second bachelors degree in physics. I already took an undergraduate physics course in my current college. I will be 25 or 26 when i start a physics major. Is it too late?

Actually, it is a question that you should ask yourself.

Without you indicating where you are or where you intend to go to school, here's an estimate of the time it takes:

Period of time to get a B.Sc: 4 years
Period of time to get a Ph.D: 6 years
Period of time for Postdoc: 3 years

So by the time you are ready to be a "physicist", it will have taken 13 years on average for you to get there. This is before considering your ability to (i) get a postdoc in the first place and (ii) get an employment that will allow you to be a "physicist". You will be close to being 40 by the time you are considered ready.

There is nothing in the educational system that will prevent you at your age from pursuing this. However, do YOU think it is too late for YOU to be a physicist?

Zz.

Likes DS2C

1. Is it too late to become a physicist?

No, it is never too late to pursue a career in physics. Science is a field where people from all backgrounds and at all stages in life can contribute new ideas and make important discoveries. As long as you are willing to put in the time and effort to learn, you can become a physicist at any age.

2. Do I need to have a certain educational background to become a physicist?

While a strong foundation in math and science is necessary for studying physics, there is no specific educational background required to become a physicist. Many successful physicists come from diverse academic backgrounds, and some even come from non-scientific fields. As long as you have a passion for physics and are willing to put in the work, you can become a physicist.

3. How long does it take to become a physicist?

The amount of time it takes to become a physicist varies depending on your educational path and career goals. Generally, it takes at least 4 years to earn a bachelor's degree in physics, and another 2-3 years to earn a master's degree. A PhD in physics can take an additional 4-6 years. However, it is important to note that becoming a physicist is a lifelong journey of learning and discovery.

4. Can I become a physicist without a degree?

While it is possible to work in certain technical or research positions in the field of physics without a degree, it is not recommended. A degree in physics provides the necessary knowledge and skills to understand complex theories and perform experiments. Additionally, many job opportunities in the field of physics require at least a bachelor's degree.

5. What skills do I need to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, you will need a strong foundation in math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to think abstractly. You should also have a natural curiosity and a passion for understanding how the universe works. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other scientists and presenting your findings to others.