Is it true not all of us can get a math degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter kramer733
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation was about the concept of having a "ceiling" in mathematical knowledge and whether or not anyone can succeed in a math degree with just hard work. The speakers discussed the idea of natural ability versus hard work and offered alternative career paths that involve mathematics. They also touched on the elitism in academia and the importance of finding employability after obtaining a math degree.
This thread is what I've been wanting to hear.

I've been leaning on the edge of physics for too long because I'm unsure of a ceiling that I'll hit when it comes to math.

Physics news on Phys.org
kramer733 said:
So i was talking with 2 of my grade 12 math teachers. Both agreed that each individual person has their "ceiling" where they max out in terms of mathematical knowledge and advancement.

I don't buy statements like this. Years ago, I remember my high school math teacher stating that some people just can't learn calculus. Aside from people with mental disabilities, I think this statement is false. Average and below average people with no math ability can be taught the essentials of calculus with hard work and motivation on their part. That is, given a good teacher.

Also, consider that high school teachers have a talent for teaching more than they have a talent for the subject they teach, for the most part. There is nothing wrong with this, but it means that you need to keep an open mind and not accept everything they say as gospel. If you are motivated, you will likely surpass their math knowledge in a meager 4-8 years. Keep this in mind when you listen to their opinions.

Perhaps their statement should be redirected as, "each teacher has a lower limit (floor) on the talent level they can teach to".

Last edited:
Oh yeah:

For all the young whipper-snappers out there who are unsure of themselves, read this:

http://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/does-one-have-to-be-a-genius-to-do-maths/"

It's written by a Field's Medal-winning mathematician named Terence Tao, a prof at UCLA. Given his history and what he's done in mathematics, his words carry a lot weight.

I have no idea how many times I've linked to his blog on PF! Ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chewy0087 said:
Now, if you believe he wasn't naturally talented, you must therefore agree that Newton loved, or put more effort into his studies than anyone else in that era, which highly unlikely.

You must also think that, because no-one is naturally talented, Rodger Federer has played more tennis than everyone else, or is more passionate for tennis than anyone else.

Yes I believe both of those. In fact, if you know anything about tennis you will know that this is absolutely true about Roger Federer. And from what I know about Newton is he devoted his entire life to his studies.

I only read the first page of this, so forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else said, but I agree that there is a "ceiling".

I was really good at maths in high school, but KNEW my level of knowledge and talent was nowhere near the kids at the top. I stupidly decided to major in maths at uni anyway. I don't know if it's true that anyone can get their bachelor's degree in maths... I got through my first two years with distinctions and high distinctions in maths (I think that's equivalent to As and Bs in the States), however, third year hit and I'm REALLY struggling.

Thank goodness this semester (my 5th semester out of 10) is my last doing maths. I'm moving on to statistics and finance after this. Not any easier, but definitely less abstract. *sigh*