Is it unhealthy to consume mold?

  • Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • #1
Simfish
Gold Member
818
2
As in, the mold that grows on bread? Or the one that grows on coffee? (yes, I once got mold that grew on my old coffee >.<)
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Danger
Gold Member
9,607
246
I don't know about coffee, but bread mold is essentially penecillin. If you aren't allergic to it, it won't hurt you. Tastes kind of funky, though.
 
  • #3
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
If you've ever eaten blue cheese, you've eaten mold. But, the answer really is "it depends." Some molds can be safely eaten, like the one in blue cheese. Others produce toxins that would be very unsafe to eat (or breathe). If in doubt, don't eat it (there's probably more than just mold growing in coffee that's been sitting around long enough to grow mold :yuck:).
 
  • #4
jim mcnamara
Mentor
4,170
2,695
bread mold is Rhizopus spp. You can probably eat that depending on the species. Why eat probable food?

Some species are used commercially to make some types of cheese for example. Obviously these guys are okay to eat.
http://www.emlab.com/app/fungi/Fungi.po?event=fungi&species=31&type=secondary

Here is a sample of what unkown-to-you molds may possibly do:
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap41.html

When in doubt about strange beasties in your food the try the USDA "bad bug book" and don't eat 'em regardless.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #5
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
7,525
2,114
Let's not forget the Ergot fungus. Especially since Albert Hoffman recently died.
 
  • #6
798
0
I don't know about coffee, but bread mold is essentially penecillin. If you aren't allergic to it, it won't hurt you. Tastes kind of funky, though.
LMAO! I had always thought that removing the mould that could be seen was useless, if you were going to eat the bread anyway. I thought there was actually some growth that could not be seen?

I just don't eat things with mould on full stop, I find it off putting but then I am a wimp :bugeye:
 
  • #7
Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
1,340
8
I thought there was actually some growth that could not be seen?
You are correct, the hyphae (microscopic 'roots' of fungi) are often colorless and permeate to some depth into the bread (or any other food it prefers). Analogous to real roots, these hyphae absorb nutrients from the substrate it is growing in. When hyphae develop into a larger mass, they are collectively referred to as mycelium.
 
  • #8
798
0
You are correct, the hyphae (microscopic 'roots' of fungi) are often colorless and permeate to some depth into the bread (or any other food it prefers). Analogous to real roots, these hyphae absorb nutrients from the substrate it is growing in. When hyphae develop into a larger mass, they are collectively referred to as mycelium.
AH yes, rings a bell that does, talked about that a while back in class.
 

Related Threads on Is it unhealthy to consume mold?

  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
3K
Replies
15
Views
13K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
23K
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
22
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
12K
Replies
18
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
6K
Top