dimensionless said:
I understand that all fruits are vegetables, but not all vegetables are fruits. They say that it's good to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, but since fruits are vegetables, can I get away with eating only fruit? I heard very little about which types of fruits are vegetables to eat.
Fruits and vegetables are your big source of vitamins. The important thing is to eat a variety, since different ones have different vitamins (or amounts of them) in them. They have other goodies too, like antioxidants.
As for the distinction between fruits and vegetables, technically, both are completely different things...at least as a biologist would define them. A fruit is the ovary of the plant, which is a fleshy part containing the seeds. A vegetable is any other part of the plant (leaves, stem, root, flower).
Nutrient-wise, I've never given such a question much thought. If you mean fruits in the biological sense, yes, you'd be fine (that would include things like tomatoes, peppers, green beans, as well as things like apples, bananas, cherries, etc.) If you limited your fruit intake to only the "sweet" fruits that we mean in the laymen's sense (apples, oranges, peaches, etc), I'm not sure. Probably as long as you ate a big variety of them you'd be fine, but you might want to verify that with a nutritionist if you intended a steady diet like that.