Is K2(Pt(CN)4Br0.3).3H2O an Example of Anisotropic Metallicity?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Sojourner01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Metal Property
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Sojourner01
Messages
371
Reaction score
0
I have a pictorial example in a book here of a solid that behaves very strangely indeed. I would have called it 'biaxial metallicity' but I have no idea what the correct term is - the material is apparently metallic in one direction but not in another - that is, appears to obey the free or nearly-free electron model only in one direction. It's described as 'KCP' and given the formulation (K2(Pt(CN)4Br0.3).3H2O). I haven't been able to find this anywhere else. Anyone have any idea what this stuff is and have any more sources for information?

Oops, I should have mentioned the book. It's Elliot, The Physics and Chemistry of Solids.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like Krogmann salt (or Krogmann's salt).

This does usually consist of linear chains of transition metal ions like platinum ions with metal-metal bonds, which are surrounded by non-metal ligands.
As the metal-metal bonds are directed, this leads to metal-like conductivity in one direction and to bad conductivity in the other direction.

Anyway this is just stuff some guys in our university did some research on. I am not an expert on this topic myself.