Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is mathematics discovered or created?

1. Apr 22, 2006 #1
    Is mathematics discovered or created?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wonder how many threads have the exact same title. Seeing as there are so many threads on this topic, you should either just search those old posts, or try to say something interesting about it here.

4. Apr 22, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Someone should move this thread to philosophy where it belongs.

5. Apr 22, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm moving it to philosophy of science and mathematics.

I'll also answer: "Both!"

Mathematical theorems are created when we choose the axioms for the mathematical system. Of course, what statements are theorems (are provable in that system) is not immediately obvious ("emergent properties" is a good phrase to use here). We "discover" the theorems when we prove them.

6. Apr 22, 2006 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

But surely if anything is freely created, it's the proofs. Granted Erdos had the Platonic ideal of the Book of maximally elegant proofs, but that was an ideal not a present resource for mathematicians.

We seem to "find" the theorems in our heads as potential truths and then prove them by creating chains of logically interrelated statements.

7. Apr 24, 2006 #6
    I'm currently in a process which involves both. Experiences in research lead to discovery of results which are real. This is then driving me to create an abstract description out of whatever i can find that initially feels right. The creative process is vital, and for me this involves self teaching a very steep hill. Things are going well, perhaps in spite of the fact i am not allowed to post how my ideas are developing here.

Getting stuff right, tried and tested can come later. What arises without the intial creativity ?

8. Apr 25, 2006 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are allowed to post if you observe some conventions such as if you use a phrase you define what it means if it is not alread known, and do not use extant words to mean different things without explaining what the new meaning is. I doubt that your posting or not posting here has any bearing on anyone's research. This however is not the place for that discussion. There is a forum feedback section that might be more appropriate.

Now, onto philosophy: but does your 'abstract' model actually exist in any platonic sense? Arguably what you have discovered isn't maths. It might be mathematical, it might use mathematics, but that does not make it mathematics but an application of mathematics.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  9. Apr 25, 2006 #8

honestrosewater

Gold Member

That reminds me of a quote I liked.
    (Also spelled Carl Kerenyi.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?