Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Molecular Orbital Theory really helpful?

1. Jul 10, 2018 #1
    Who am I kidding? Of course it is. But, everywhere I look, the series of increasing levels of orbitals is till
    σ*2pz only
    upload_2018-7-10_22-38-36.png
    That's all.
    So if I need to find bond order of , say, some molecule with greater number of e- like BF3 with 24 electrons, how do I proceed?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2018 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In this sort of thing, it helps to know the geometry and any symmetry the molecule may have. In the case of ## sp^3 ## hybridization, if I remember correctly, (it has been quite a few years since I took a sequence of undergraduate chemistry courses, and it also showed up later in a physics group theory graduate course), you get 4 orbitals that form a tetrahedron around the central atom, and if you only have 3 atoms to attach, you may be left with a lone pair of electrons on the 4th corner of the tetrahedron. I haven't used this stuff a lot, but yes, it can be useful. ## \\ ## Edit: And a subsequent google shows I have it correct: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/introchem/chapter/sp3-hybridization/

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. Jul 10, 2018 #3

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jul 11, 2018 #4
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted