Is My A-Frame Structure at Risk of Buckling or Bending?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fugro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Analysis Member
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Fugro
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have a design using a simple 'inverted v' frame . Each member is 1.22 m long and sees a UDL on it, acting downward(6580 N/m). The angle between the members and the horizontal is 5 degrees. and both footings are bolted firmly to the horizontal.

I wish to analyse and confirm that the members will not buckle or fail due to bending.

Can I resolve the components of the load (6580*1.22 = 8030N) into those perpendicular to the members and those along the member, and assume that it is the component perpendicular to the member causing bending, and the component along the members length which will cause buckling?

This seems all way to easy - i am sure that some forum people may be able to help me do a more advanced and accurate analysis. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
 
Attachments
  • rough dims.jpg
    rough dims.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 545
Engineering news on Phys.org
Fugro said:
Can I resolve the components of the load into those perpendicular to the member and those along the member, and assume it is the component perpendicular to the member causing bending, and the component along the member length that will cause buckling?
Yes.