Analysis of Structures Homework: Find Forces on Member AD

In summary, a structure with 3 members, AD, AC, and BD, is shown in an attached image. A pulley with a radius of 0.15 m is attached to D, with one end of the cable attached to a 500 N weight and the other end fixed horizontally. A is supported by a frictionless pin, while C is on a roller support along the y-axis. A 300 N force is also directed downwards at the center of AD. By finding support reactions and analyzing individual members, it was determined that the forces on member AD are Ax = -300 N, Ay = 0 N, Dx = +300 N, and Dy = +300 N.
Meta14

Homework Statement

A structure is made of 3 members, AD, AC, and BD (as shown in the attached image). A and B are NOT directly connected. There is also a pulley attached to D with radius 0.15 m. 1 end of the cable is attached to a 500 N weight, the other on is fixed in a horizontal sense. A is on a frictionless pin support. C is on a roller support; its line of action is directed along the y-axis. There is also a 300 N force directed downwards in the center of AD. Determine the forces on member AD.

Homework Equations

Sum of forces in the X = 0
Sum of forces in the Y = 0
Sum of moments about a point = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the reaction on the center of D, which is +500 N in both the X and Y, then applied this force on member BD, reversing its sense. B is the only other point, therefore the forces on point B will be equal to the forces on D, reversed in sense. Then I moved to member AC. At B there is 500 N down, 500 N left. I took the moment about A: -500(.5) + Cy(1.0), Cy = +250 N, therefore Ay = -250 N, and Ax = +500 N.

At this point I got stuck because I just don't understand why the book gives the answer as "On AD: Ax = -300 N, Ay = 0 N, Dx = +300 N, and Dy = +300 N". So it became pretty clear I did something wrong. I've been moving the numbers around in my head but I don't get how the book got 300 N as a magnitude for any force of Dx or Dy. There's probably something simple I'm missing.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Structure.png
    Structure.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 430
  • Structure 2.png
    Structure 2.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The diagram attached to your post has members AB, BC, and BD. I see no member AD. Is your diagram correct?

Member BD is 1 structure, and the L-shaped AD is another structure. A and B are not directly connected. Sorry for the confusion. I don't have a scanner so I couldn't just scan the picture.

EDIT: I uploaded another image. Hopefully this one clears up any confusion.

Last edited:
Meta14 said:

Homework Statement

A structure is made of 3 members, AD, AC, and BD (as shown in the attached image). A and B are NOT directly connected. There is also a pulley attached to D with radius 0.15 m. 1 end of the cable is attached to a 500 N weight, the other on is fixed in a horizontal sense. A is on a frictionless pin support. C is on a roller support; its line of action is directed along the y-axis. There is also a 300 N force directed downwards in the center of AD. Determine the forces on member AD.

Homework Equations

Sum of forces in the X = 0
Sum of forces in the Y = 0
Sum of moments about a point = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the reaction on the center of D, which is +500 N in both the X and Y, then applied this force on member BD, reversing its sense.
But this force is applied on both BD and AD
B is the only other point, therefore the forces on point B will be equal to the forces on D, reversed in sense. Then I moved to member AC. At B there is 500 N down, 500 N left.
No, not correct; you are assuming the pulley load at D all goes into BD. Not true because you have shear forces in AD. This is not a truss.
,I took the moment about A: -500(.5) + Cy(1.0), Cy = +250 N, therefore Ay = -250 N, and Ax = +100 N.

At this point I got stuck because I just don't understand why the book gives the answer as "On AD: Ax = -300 N, Ay = 0 N, Dx = +300 N, and Dy = +300 N". So it became pretty clear I did something wrong. I've been moving the numbers around in my head but I don't get how the book got 300 N as a magnitude for any force of Dx or Dy. There's probably something simple I'm missing.

Any help is appreciated.
It is almost always best to find support reactions first before taking apart the frame. Look at the entire frame and sum moments about A. Solve for Cy, then Ax and Ay. Now look at AC in a FBD and solve for BD. BD is a 2-force member.

Likes 1 person
PhanthomJay said:
But this force is applied on both BD and AD

No, not correct; you are assuming the pulley load at D all goes into BD. Not true because you have shear forces in AD. This is not a truss. It is almost always best to find support reactions first before taking apart the frame. Look at the entire frame and sum moments about A. Solve for Cy, then Ax and Ay. Now look at AC in a FBD and solve for BD. BD is a 2-force member.

Thank you, I managed to figure it out. You were right, I was treating it like a truss for some reason, and kept getting weird answers. I eventually just took apart the entire frame pin by pin, member by member. It helped me understand frames better, and I managed to get the correct answer eventually.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing structures and finding forces on specific members?

The purpose of analyzing structures is to determine the internal forces and stresses within a structure, which is essential for ensuring the safety and stability of the structure. Finding forces on specific members allows us to identify areas of high stress and potential failure, and make necessary design modifications.

2. What is the process for finding forces on member AD?

The process for finding forces on member AD involves first drawing a free body diagram of the entire structure, then isolating member AD and drawing a separate free body diagram. From these diagrams, we can apply equations of equilibrium and solve for the unknown forces on member AD.

3. What are the different types of forces that can act on member AD?

The different types of forces that can act on member AD include axial forces (compression or tension), shear forces, and bending moments. These forces can be caused by external loads or internal stresses within the structure.

4. How does the angle and direction of member AD affect the forces acting on it?

The angle and direction of member AD can affect the forces acting on it by changing the magnitude and direction of the forces. For example, if member AD is angled at 45 degrees, it will experience both axial and shear forces, whereas if it is angled at 90 degrees, it will only experience axial forces.

5. Can the forces on member AD change over time?

Yes, the forces on member AD can change over time. This can be due to external factors such as changes in loading or environmental conditions, or internal factors such as material degradation or structural modifications. It is important to regularly monitor and analyze structures to ensure that they can withstand changing forces.