Is my savings account amount considered decent?

• Other
  • Thread starter Danielle Sarah
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether having 2k saved up at the age of 21 is a decent amount for someone still living at home and working part-time. The response suggests that it depends on individual circumstances, such as the need for a car and educational outlook. It is also important to consider existing debt when evaluating savings. The speaker shares their personal experience of having a similar amount saved at 21, but also mentions the importance of being debt-free. The conversation ends with a reminder that the question has been asked before and further discussion can take place in the previous thread.
Danielle Sarah
I believe I have asked this before I am not sure where I stand. I am 21 and have 2k saved up. Is that decent for living at home still and working part time? I have saved up for almost two years.

Physics news on Phys.org
Danielle Sarah said:
I believe I have asked this before I am not sure where I stand. I am 21 and have 2k saved up. Is that decent for living at home still and working part time? I have saved up for almost two years.

It depends on what your likely needs for unexpected cash might come from. If you are able to commute to work without owning a car, and you don't have any children, you're in pretty good shape.

If a car is essential to your employment, an accident or breakdown could erase that pretty quickly, depending on the details.

It also depends on what your educational outlook is. That's not much if you are saving for college or hope to emerge from college debt free.

Your real assets are not your money in the bank, it is the money in the bank minus your existing debt. If your existing debt (educational, unpaid bills, credit cards, car loan, etc.) exceeds your savings, you are really in negative territory.

When I was 21, I had about $2k to my name, but I had a new car, no debt, and was about to graduate from college with a degree that opened a lot of doors. That was about 25 years ago. I happened to get a good internship that year, so when it came time to get married at 22, I was able to do that too without going into debt. But to stay debt free, we couldn't afford to bring the car to grad school and it sat in a parking lot in Louisiana while we attended grad school in MA. After a year of living in a cheap apartment, we got better and more affordable on campus housing and figured out a lifestyle and budget that allowed us to afford the car insurance and gas. It was nice not having to walk 2 miles back and forth to school, because I wanted to save on even the bus fare that first year of marriage.

Dr. Courtney said:
It depends on what your likely needs for unexpected cash might come from. If you are able to commute to work without owning a car, and you don't have any children, you're in pretty good shape.

If a car is essential to your employment, an accident or breakdown could erase that pretty quickly, depending on the details.

It also depends on what your educational outlook is. That's not much if you are saving for college or hope to emerge from college debt free.

Your real assets are not your money in the bank, it is the money in the bank minus your existing debt. If your existing debt (educational, unpaid bills, credit cards, car loan, etc.) exceeds your savings, you are really in negative territory.

When I was 21, I had about $2k to my name, but I had a new car, no debt, and was about to graduate from college with a degree that opened a lot of doors. That was about 25 years ago. I happened to get a good internship that year, so when it came time to get married at 22, I was able to do that too without going into debt. But to stay debt free, we couldn't afford to bring the car to grad school and it sat in a parking lot in Louisiana while we attended grad school in MA. After a year of living in a cheap apartment, we got better and more affordable on campus housing and figured out a lifestyle and budget that allowed us to afford the car insurance and gas. It was nice not having to walk 2 miles back and forth to school, because I wanted to save on even the bus fare that first year of marriage.
I have a little bit of school loans, not too much. Plus, I own a new car too and have two dents on my car I need to repair, I will have my financial aid refund pay for that. I pay for my own car payment and gas and food. Am I really that bad in shape? I do not plan on getting married by 22.

Take good care of that car and drive very carefully if you need it to get to work, and you should be in good shape.

1. How much money should I have in my savings account?

The amount of money you should have in your savings account depends on your personal financial goals and needs. It is generally recommended to have enough savings to cover 3-6 months of living expenses in case of emergencies.

2. Is there a minimum amount required for a decent savings account?

There is no specific minimum amount required for a decent savings account. However, most banks have a minimum balance requirement in order to avoid monthly fees. It is important to shop around and compare different banks to find one that fits your needs and offers competitive interest rates.

3. How much interest should I be earning on my savings account?

The average interest rate for savings accounts is currently around 0.06%. However, some banks offer higher interest rates, especially for high-yield savings accounts. It is important to regularly review and compare interest rates to ensure you are earning as much as possible on your savings.

4. Should I have multiple savings accounts for different purposes?

It can be beneficial to have multiple savings accounts for different purposes, such as emergency savings, short-term savings, and long-term savings. This can help you keep track of your savings goals and prevent you from dipping into your emergency fund for non-emergencies.

5. Is it better to keep my money in a savings account or invest it?

The decision to keep your money in a savings account or invest it depends on your individual financial goals and risk tolerance. Savings accounts offer lower risk and easier access to your money, while investments have the potential for higher returns but also come with a higher risk. It is important to consider your financial goals and consult with a financial advisor before making any decisions.