Is my short induction proof correct?

In summary, a short induction proof is a proof technique that uses mathematical induction to prove a statement for all values of a variable. It differs from a regular induction proof in that it only requires one or a few steps and is used for simpler statements. The key components of a short induction proof are the base case, induction hypothesis, and inductive step. To ensure the correctness of a short induction proof, all necessary components must be included and the inductive step must follow logically from the induction hypothesis. However, it is not suitable for all mathematical statements and is most commonly used for proving statements about natural numbers.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Prove: ##∀n∈ℕ##, ##3^n>n^2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) We will prove that ##3^n>n^2## at ##n=1##
##3=3^1>1=1^2##

(2) Now assume that ##3^k>k^2## for some ##k>1##
(3) We will prove that ##3^{k+1}>(k+1)^2## or ##3⋅3^k>k^2+2k+1##
Note that ##k^2+2k^2+1=3k^2+1≥k^2+2k+1##, and as such, ##3⋅3^k≥3k^2+3>3k^2+1≥k^2+2k+1##. So ##3^{k+1}>3k^2+1≥(k+1)^2##.

I'm basically ambivalent as to whether to insert that extra term in the inequality: ##3k^2+1##, not knowing whether it is equal to, less than, or greater than ##3^{k+1}##. Can someone check my work, please? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"Prove: ##∀n∈ℕ##, ##3^n>n^2##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) We will prove that ##3^n>n^2## at ##n=1##
##3=3^1>1=1^2##

(2) Now assume that ##3^k>k^2## for some ##k>1##
(3) We will prove that ##3^{k+1}>(k+1)^2## or ##3⋅3^k>k^2+2k+1##
Note that ##k^2+2k^2+1=3k^2+1≥k^2+2k+1##, and as such, ##3⋅3^k≥3k^2+3>3k^2+1≥k^2+2k+1##. So ##3^{k+1}>3k^2+1≥(k+1)^2##.

I'm basically ambivalent as to whether to insert that extra term in the inequality: ##3k^2+1##, not knowing whether it is equal to, less than, or greater than ##3^{k+1}##. Can someone check my work, please? Thanks.
The induction step boils down to showing that ##3k^2 > (k + 1)^2##. It's easy enough to prove the equivalent statement ##3k^2 - (k + 1)^2 > 0##.

Let's see...

##3k^2-k^2-2k-1=2k^2-2k-1=2k(k-1)-1>0## for ##k>0##?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Let's see...

##3k^2-k^2-2k-1=2k^2-2k-1=2k(k-1)-1>0## for ##k>0##?
Almost. 2k(k - 1) - 1 > 0 for k > 1.
If k = 0, you have 0(-1) - 1 < 0, and if k = 1, you have 2(0) - 1 < 0.

1. What is a short induction proof?

A short induction proof is a mathematical proof technique that uses the principle of mathematical induction to prove a statement for all values of a variable. It involves proving a base case and then showing that if the statement is true for any particular value of the variable, it must also be true for the next value. This process is repeated until the statement has been proven for all values of the variable.

2. How is a short induction proof different from a regular induction proof?

A short induction proof is a specific type of induction proof that only requires one or a few steps to prove a statement for all values of a variable. It is often used for simple and straightforward proofs, while regular induction proofs may require more steps and are used for more complex statements.

3. What are the key components of a short induction proof?

The key components of a short induction proof are the base case, the induction hypothesis, and the inductive step. The base case is the starting point for the proof, where the statement is shown to be true for a specific value of the variable. The induction hypothesis is the assumption that the statement is true for a particular value of the variable. The inductive step uses the induction hypothesis to prove that the statement is also true for the next value of the variable.

4. How do I know if my short induction proof is correct?

To determine if a short induction proof is correct, you should check that it includes all the necessary components, such as the base case, induction hypothesis, and inductive step. You should also make sure that the inductive step is valid and follows logically from the induction hypothesis. Additionally, you can check your proof with someone else or compare it to other similar proofs to see if it follows the same structure and reasoning.

5. Can I use a short induction proof for all mathematical statements?

No, a short induction proof is not suitable for proving all mathematical statements. It is most commonly used for proving statements about natural numbers and can be applied to some other types of statements as well. However, for more complex statements or those involving different types of numbers, other proof techniques may be more appropriate.