Is Nevlar, a New Polymer Design, Stronger than Kevlar?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
bomba923
Messages
759
Reaction score
0
(This is part two of my "Stronger than Kevlar?" queries :) ) [/size]

Is Nevlar* stronger than Kevlar?
(*A polymer I designed)[/size]
 
Attachments
  • Kevlar.GIF
    Kevlar.GIF
    2 KB · Views: 603
  • Nevlar3.GIF
    Nevlar3.GIF
    2.5 KB · Views: 637
  • Nevlar.GIF
    Nevlar.GIF
    21.4 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think it will be stronger, the orientations of the bonds (and what i would expect bond orbital overlaps to be like by mental picture) doesn't look nearly as optimum as in kevlar. But what do i know...:rolleyes:
 
Well, the bonds in my third image aren't exactly "drawn to scale" (so a mental picture might look different...). If you can suggest any molecular modeling freeware, I can post a much better image--

3trQN said:
orientations of the bonds ... doesn't look nearly as optimum as in kevlar
Why so?
 
Last edited: