Why is Diethylamine a Stronger Base Than Dimethylamine?

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basicity
In summary, the pKb value of diethylamine is less than that of dimethylamine in aqueous phase according to my textbook, which indicates that the former is more basic. My question is why diethylamine is a stronger base than dimethylamine? It seems that the latter is more stable due to its smaller size and lack of steric hindrance, and the inductive effect, the +I effect of -C2H5 is greater than that -CH3. So, diethylamine is a stronger base.
Saitama
This is no homework question, i came across this when i was checking out the pKb values for some amines. The pKb value of diethylamine is less that of dimethylamine in aqueous phase according to my textbook. This indicates that the former is more basic. My question is why diethylamine is a stronger base than dimethylamine?
What i think is when the latter is protonated, it is easily protonated because of less steric hindrance. Also, the protonated dimethylamine is more solvated than the protonated diethylamine due to its smaller size. These two factors support that dimethlylamine is a stronger base.
Next comes the inductive effect, the +I effect of -C2H5 is greater than that -CH3 due to which protonated diethylamine is more stable than the protonated dimethylamine. This supports that diethylamine is a stronger base.
How should i determine the basicity order here when two factors support that dimethylamine is a stronger base than diethylamine but one factor supports that diethylamine is stronger base than dimethylamine?

Any help is appreciated. :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Is there no one who could help me with my simple question? :(

This is not something that can be quantitatively analyzed just from knowledge of the above two factors. Which effect dominates can only be found out experimentally, and in this case stabilisation due a more electron-donating group is more important than cation solvation (I assume all this is in an aqeous medium).

mishrashubham said:
This is not something that can be quantitatively analyzed just from knowledge of the above two factors. Which effect dominates can only be found out experimentally, and in this case stabilisation due a more electron-donating group is more important than cation solvation (I assume all this is in an aqueous medium).

Finally someone replied! Thanks Shubham! :smile:
Yes, everything is in aqueous medium, i already mentioned that.

But what if a question appears on these two amines? Am i supposed to memorize the pkb values? For example, if i wanted to determine which is more basic from, say, triethylamine and trimethylamine in aqueous medium, how should i go on answering it?

You can compare between Ethylamine, diethylamine or triethylamine, but the problem is, you can't readily compare between trimethylamine or triethylamine. But, since you know the comparison between dimethylamine and diethylamine, you can solve this question.

You may probably know, trimethylamine as well as triethylamine, both are weaker than their "di" counterparts. (Look into NCERT). Now triethylamine do not take the hit as bad as trimethylamine, because steric hindrance can't go worse (affecting hydration), so the stabilization of cation by +I groups matters, so TEA > TMA.

Thanks AGNuke for the explanation, i get it now! :smile:

Btw, this question is from NCERT, i mean i was checking out the pkb values from the chapter "Amines" and stuck on these.

1. What is the difference between Diethylamine and Dimethylamine?

Diethylamine and Dimethylamine are both organic compounds that contain nitrogen. The main difference between them is their structure. Diethylamine has two ethyl groups attached to the nitrogen atom, while Dimethylamine has two methyl groups attached to the nitrogen atom.

2. Why is Diethylamine a stronger base than Dimethylamine?

The strength of a base is determined by its ability to accept a proton (H+) from an acid. Diethylamine has two ethyl groups, which are larger and more electron-donating than methyl groups. This results in a higher electron density on the nitrogen atom in Diethylamine, making it a stronger base than Dimethylamine.

3. How does the size of the alkyl groups affect the basicity of a compound?

The size of the alkyl groups attached to the nitrogen atom can influence the basicity of a compound. Larger alkyl groups, such as ethyl groups, can donate more electrons to the nitrogen atom, increasing its basicity. Smaller alkyl groups, such as methyl groups, are less electron-donating and result in a weaker base.

4. Can the basicity of Diethylamine and Dimethylamine be compared to other compounds?

Yes, the basicity of Diethylamine and Dimethylamine can be compared to other compounds using a relative scale known as pKa. The lower the pKa value, the stronger the base. According to this scale, Diethylamine has a pKa of 10.79, while Dimethylamine has a pKa of 10.64, making Diethylamine a slightly stronger base.

5. What are some common uses of Diethylamine and Dimethylamine?

Both Diethylamine and Dimethylamine are commonly used in the production of various chemicals, including pharmaceuticals, dyes, and pesticides. They are also used as catalysts and solvents in organic reactions. Additionally, Dimethylamine is used as a corrosion inhibitor in oil and gas pipelines.