Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is nondetection of SUSY @ Tev a problem low energy SUSY?

1. It makes detection of SUSY at LHC very unlikely

33.3%
  2. It is not enough data to decide whether LHC will find SUSY

66.7%
  3. other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    Thus far Tevatron has not detected any multiple higgs bosons or any SUSY particles. If SUSY is the correct explanation for Higgs stabilization, given both the amount of data and energies reached, does this present a problem (i.e makes more unlikely) SUSY as an explanation for Higgs stabilization? Presumably it might be another couple of years before LHC has enough data to find either Higgs of SUSY during which Tevatron will continue to collect data.

Does the continued non-observation of SUSY at Tevatron, combined with no-observation of proton decay, make finding SUSY less likely to appear at LHC or it has no bearing on whether LHC will see SUSY?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2
    "given both the amount of data and energies reached"

That amount is too small to make conclusions. Tevatron has ruled out squarks and gluinos up to 300-400 GeV. Constraints on neutralinos are substantially weaker. It would take several times the amount of data collected to rule out Standard Model Higgs.

I'm not sure how long we can expect Tevatron to continue operating. The Wikipedia article says that it will be shut down in 2010. I recall reading statements to the contrary. If there's enough money to keep it running as is through 2013, only then it will stand a chance to cut out a sizable chunk of SUSY parameter space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook