Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is 3.5 tev enough to discover Higgs/SUSY by 2013

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    based on its currently energy and luminosity, can LHC discover Higgs/SUSY in regions where Tevatron has not been able to, if that is where Higgs is hiding?

(which then gets upgraded to 7 tev)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

The best answer is a definite maybe. No one knows for sure one way or the other.
  4. Mar 29, 2010 #3
    Heh, is this for intrade.com ?

Current confidence limits are made assuming the standard model is correct. If there are supersymmetric particles, etc. then things get even more interesting. So we can guess all day.

I have some friends in high energy physics, and it sounds like a light higgs would take a lot of work to understand the detector really well first. So getting that 5 sigma discovery that intrade requires may take awhile even after the first signs of a "bump" are there.
  5. Mar 29, 2010 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

It all depends on where it is - if it's just on the high side of the Tevatron limits, that's easy. If it's very heavy or very light it takes much more data.
  6. Mar 29, 2010 #5
    ok, is it currently collecting data?
  7. Mar 30, 2010 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

No. Collisions in 3-3.5 hours at the soonest.
  8. Mar 30, 2010 #7
    Damn it, I really wanted a single flat "Yes"... I know that isn't possible... but I wanted it. Stupid liquid helium, silly gazillion miles of piping and tunnels. I WANT MY HIGGS TODAY, not in a week!

That's in the spirit of normal scientifc inquiry, right? *looks around* right?!

All kidding aside, forget when it starts COLLECTING data... we're talking about a lot of data, are we not? More importantly, how many years would you imagine is a "safe bet" for any form of tastey information to be sifted from the chaff?

Oh, when I die, I would also like to be cremated and stuffed into an active nuclear reactor. Take a particle of "me" that (through enormous expense and countrywide brownouts) has been sufficiently bombarded to become gold... then shove me into a cyclotron, synchroton, or preferably the LHC. My only regret is not being able to see my own hadron jet. :cry:
  9. Mar 30, 2010 #8
    This is more of a calibration period for the detectors and the LHC crew itself. They figured most of their data from these runs will be already known particles, which will help in calibrating the machines to be more accurate. The ramping to 7TeV per in 2 years will be at full capacity of the LHC and that is when the "new physics" should arrive.
  10. Mar 30, 2010 #9
    Will it be collecting data after collisions? If Higgs or SUSy are part of the collision fragments will there the first detections in detectors?
  11. Mar 30, 2010 #10
    There have been around a half million events collected within all of the detectors in the past two cycles. They will not know until they have time to analyze all of the data, get rid of corrupt data, and compile it and look for possible candidates. There won't be any new physics coming from these collisions, or so it has been said by those at the LHC.
  12. Apr 5, 2010 #11
    If the standard model is correct, the highest probability energy region for finding the Higgs particle has already been searched (This is not me but in a paper I read a while back, though I'm sure some would optimistically disagree, and there seems to be a lot of available theoretical wiggle room for a "standard" model).
  13. Apr 5, 2010 #12
    Well, this does seem like an ideal time to adopt a "wait and see" attitude, given that we all have no choice in the matter. :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook