The Dagda said:
Is that a conservative opinion there? Are couples who are not tied, not allowed to have children? Marriage these days is seen by many as little more than a tax break I think. A lot of people get married simply because it's a social convention at least in the UK, it certainly isn't in the majority of cases religious. If you think about it in a detached manner, apart from the legal and financial incentives, what is the difference between living with someone forever and being married?
I suppose some might consider my opinion conservative. So be it.
Actually, it's simply a matter of responsibility.
I'm also just curious about the absence of the father(s). For me, if I get a woman pregnant, I'm committed to that woman and child (or children) until I stop breathing.
I certainly don't know all the details, but I have to wonder if she is expecting to be supported by the state. It's one thing to have 14 children and support them oneself (which I don't see a single adult doing), but it's quite another matter to have numerous children and expect others to support one's children. It seems it's selfish.
If I'm going to live with someone forever, I'm going to get married (which I did going on 27 years + 1 year of being engaged while living apart except for weekends and holidays). Beyond legal and financial matters, it's simply a matter of commitment.
I've seen many people who live together (as well as married), and then split up. It seems, based on what I've observed, that when a couple co-habits, one or both is not necessarily committed to a long-term, exclusive relationship (I've seen that in marriages too).