Is Peace on Earth Possible During the Holiday Season?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
53 replies · 8K views
New Zealand beating Australia in the cricket.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd love to have the feeling I used to get on the 24th of December (I couldn't wait for the 25th and tried to go to sleep early so Christmas would come quicker) when I was around 6 years old. Christmas was the BEST! even better than a birthday. It was a feeling like, if Santa is real and Christmas is real, then nothing in the world can be bad...But, then you get older, Santa is a fake, half the world doesn't believe in Christmas, the other quarter call it xmas and it just becomes a fight through the shops at the last minute to buy a bunch of crap that people don't need.

I'm going to visit some new family eat myself into a half coma and lie on the couch and watch the Grinch. :wink:
 
Math Is Hard said:
Love.

Ivan Seeking said:
In that case we'll have to get you a slide rule.

Slide rules are easy. Love?

That's going to take more than one box.
 
I'll confess to wanting a pocket-size digital balance. It'd be perfect for outreach I do for HS physics/chemistry teachers... and our lab director keeps every single working balance in the department under PERSONAL lock and key. AUGH!

They are down to about $60. I'm thinking of splurging for my sanity and dignity. I hate groveling.

Plus... they look cute and and shiny! :biggrin:
 
Evo said:
Oh, and I need a warm scarf/muffler for my neck, socks, and a large bulky sweater.

And a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry (or Dry Sack), a good unblended scotch, and Baileys.

If the second list arrives, you shouldn't need any items from the first! :biggrin:
 
Andre said:
Guests, for dinner. Everybody is invited.

and no X-mas shifts this year for me, X fingers
well what i want will take the whole computer system to overload.
 
Can I have love too? I want this guy.
dork.gif
 
Attachments
  • dork.gif
    dork.gif
    219 bytes · Views: 437
Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:
Math Is Hard said:
Love.

Ivan Seeking said:
In that case we'll have to get you a slide rule.

Slide rules are easy. Love?

That's going to take more than one box.

somebody may have missed a pickup line:

Math Is Hard said:
OK, here's my new trick. I bump into an engineer at a bar and say. "oopsie!" and let a slide rule fall out of my purse. I think it has potential.
 
Evo said:
Can I have love too? I want this guy. [PLAIN]http://www.myemoticons.com/emoticons/images/msn/moods/dork.gif[/QUOTE][/URL]

I may have found him for you. Sending you a PM now...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Andre said:
BobG said:
Math Is Hard said:
Love.
Ivan Seeking said:
In that case we'll have to get you a slide rule.
Slide rules are easy. Love?

That's going to take more than one box.
somebody may have missed a pickup line:

Math Is Hard said:
OK, here's my new trick. I bump into an engineer at a bar and say. "oopsie!" and let a slide rule fall out of my purse. I think it has potential.
Doh! For some reason, my first thought was the Wizard of Oz (a diploma for the tinman, a robe for the lion, etc). Now it makes a lot more sense.

I just want a post with quotes nested to at least 7 levels.
 
Math Is Hard said:
I may have found him for you. Sending you a PM now...
WOOT! Can you send him? :!)
 
All the PF sisters are loved already.
 
Kurdt said:
All the PF sisters are loved already.
I :!) you kurdt.
 
Anyone else find reciprocal gift giving sort of ridiculous as you get older. I think when I have kids it will be different. But my family is older now and it seems silly them giving me a list of what they want. All this stuff they can get on a Saturday afternoon. Then I have to give them a few things I kinda want. I can buy anything I want off amazon in 3 seconds. So what is the point? I suppose if you find something they really want by yourself without a list is fun, but that get harder the less you see them.
 
Yes, Christmas is really for the kids. I think this thread shows how peoples priorities change over the years.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Anyone else find reciprocal gift giving sort of ridiculous as you get older. I think when I have kids it will be different. But my family is older now and it seems silly them giving me a list of what they want. All this stuff they can get on a Saturday afternoon. Then I have to give them a few things I kinda want. I can buy anything I want off amazon in 3 seconds. So what is the point? Anyone?
My father likes handing out cards and checks well before Christmas, and I can't dissuade him, so my wife and I make sure that he gets stuff that he really needs. It's not store-bought presents, usually, but stuff that an 83 year-old widower can use. My wife is taking care of her mother for the next 20+ hours (home-bound with dementia) and when she gets relieved tomorrow she's going to take my father a nice big pork loin end roast and gravy. That will keep him in meals and sandwiches for a while. He stopped in yesterday, and I gave him a couple of quarts of home-made chicken soup. I made brine today, and she's going to soak two of the roasts in it tonight - one for her mother and one for my father - and roast them tomorrow.

When you're an old fellow whose cooking sucks (to be polite) getting decent meals is a good thing.
 
Moonbear said:
A week with my boyfriend! I can't wait. :biggrin:

If you're willing to share, you can take care of MIH's request at the same time.
(Not mention giving bf a present that he'll never forget.)
:biggrin:
 
Danger said:
If you're willing to share, you can take care of MIH's request at the same time.
(Not mention giving bf a present that he'll never forget.)
:biggrin:

Hey, we're not into that Canadian polyandry stuff. :-p
 
Andre said:
Are you sending Kurdt, MIH?

No, someone a touch older and nerdier.
 
Math Is Hard said:
No, someone a touch older and nerdier.
Wha? Did someone call my name?