Is photon gravity lensing affected by frequency (energy)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between energy, frequency, and mass of a photon. It is clarified that energy does not equal mass, and that mass does not affect a photon's deflection. The concept of gravitational lensing and its connection to frequency is also brought up. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the person asking does not have enough knowledge in physics to answer the question themselves.
Benwade

Homework Statement

I am NOT a student. Please forgive my asking here, but if you do choose to answer, I would appreciate it.

Obviously any or all of the statements below may be incorrect...

As I understand it:
The more energy a photon has (I know it's also a wave) the greater the frequency.
Energy = mass (not necessarily matter obviously)
The more mass the more a photon would be deflected (let's say by passing by a black hole)
Is gravitational lensing affected by frequency?

Homework Equations

E=MC^2 comes to mind.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped. (I realize that not saying much).
Perhaps, just as all weights fall at the same rate (Barring air resistance) they deflect to the same degree?
Perhaps mass and momentum should be treated separately? Because I'm conflating resistance to turning as mass having momentum?That you for your insight. I apologize for disturbing the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Benwade said:
Energy = mass (not necessarily matter obviously)
This is not true.
Benwade said:
The more mass the more a photon would be deflected (let's say by passing by a black hole)
No. Deflection is the same for all light. There is no need to consider relativistic effects to understand this: the same is true to normal massive objects in Newtonian gravity: deflection depends on the speed, but not on the mass.

mfb said:
This is not true.
No. Deflection is the same for all light. There is no need to consider relativistic effects to understand this: the same is true to normal massive objects in Newtonian gravity: deflection depends on the speed, but not on the mass.

Thank you. I just wondered, and I didn't know enough (any) physics to answer the question myself.

1. How does the frequency of a photon affect gravity lensing?

The frequency of a photon, or its energy, does not directly affect gravity lensing. Gravity lensing occurs due to the bending of spacetime by massive objects, such as stars or galaxies. The frequency or energy of a photon only determines its wavelength and therefore its behavior when interacting with matter.

2. Can a high-frequency photon cause stronger gravity lensing?

No, the strength of gravity lensing is determined by the mass and distribution of the object causing the lensing, not the frequency of the photon. However, higher frequency photons may be more likely to interact with matter and be affected by other forces, which could impact their path and contribute to the overall lensing effect.

3. Is there a specific frequency range that is most affected by gravity lensing?

There is no specific frequency range that is most affected by gravity lensing. All frequencies of photons are subject to the same gravitational forces, and their behavior is determined by their energy and the mass of the object causing the lensing.

4. Does the wavelength of a photon affect the strength of gravity lensing?

The wavelength of a photon is directly related to its frequency and energy, but it does not directly affect the strength of gravity lensing. The wavelength can impact how a photon interacts with matter, but the overall lensing effect is determined by the mass of the object causing the lensing.

5. Are there any exceptions to the relationship between photon frequency and gravity lensing?

There are no exceptions to the relationship between photon frequency and gravity lensing. All objects with mass, regardless of their frequency or energy, are subject to the same gravitational forces and can cause lensing effects. However, other factors such as the speed and direction of the photon's movement can also play a role in the overall lensing effect.