Momentum of a Photon: E/c=p Explained

In summary, it is not correct to use E = mc2 to calculate the momentum of a photon, as the mass of a photon is zero and it has no rest energy. The correct equation to use is p = h/λ = E/c, or in terms of frequency, p = h/ν = hf/c. Both derivations are correct and represent the fact that a photon carries both energy and momentum, but the second one is more accurate and applicable to all situations. The equation E = mc2 is not applicable to photons as it is a special case for objects with rest mass.
pokemon123

Homework Statement

I have been asked to calculate the momentum of a photon in that has been ejected as a gamma ray after a nucleus was excited in terms of the Energy. I am confused as to whether or not I can use two different equations

Homework Equations

E=mc^2 or E=hf λ=h/p

The Attempt at a Solution

E=mc^2 E/c=mc
mv=p
c=v(of photon)
thus E/c=p

E=hf
f=v/λ
λ=hc/E
λ=h/p
h/p=hc/E
p=E/c

where I get confused is that the answer sheet only gives the second derivation as the answer and i have been told by someone that E=mc^2 is not the correct way to derive the momentum of a photon however I'm not sure why. Could someone please explain to me if both derivations are correct or if one is incorrect please explain why.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass of a photon is zero, so you cannot use E = mc2. The second derivation is correct. The photon does carry both momentum and energy, and for these, both equations that you wrote in the second derivation are correct. E = hf and p = h/λ = E/c.

pokemon123 said:
E=mc^2
To expand a bit on the previous reply, ##E = mc^2## is just an expression of the rest energy of an object. A photon has no rest frame and hence no rest energy. If you want to include the full relation between energy, momentum, and mass, you also need to include a term that depends on the momentum and the relation becomes
$$
E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2.
$$

pokemon123 said:
mv=p
This is not a correct equation for a relativistic object. You need ##p = m\gamma v## and, as before, ##m## is zero for the photon but ##\gamma## is undefined as ##\gamma \to \infty## as ##v\to c##. You get the correct answer in the end because generally you could introduce relativistic mass as a placeholder for total energy. The more general relationship between energy, momentum, and speed is ##v = pc^2/E##, which is independent of the mass of the object and indeed gives ##E = pc## when ##v = c##.

What is the momentum of a photon?

The momentum of a photon is given by the equation p = E/c, where E is the energy of the photon and c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

How is the momentum of a photon related to its energy?

The momentum of a photon is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the energy of a photon increases, its momentum also increases.

Why is the momentum of a photon important?

The momentum of a photon is important because it helps us understand the behavior of light and other electromagnetic radiation. It also plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.

How can the momentum of a photon be experimentally measured?

The momentum of a photon can be measured using a variety of methods, such as the Compton effect or the photoelectric effect. These experiments involve observing the change in momentum of a photon after it interacts with matter.

Can the momentum of a photon change?

Yes, the momentum of a photon can change if it interacts with matter or if its energy changes. However, the speed of light in a vacuum is constant, so the change in momentum will always be proportional to the change in energy.