Is physics utilized in AI research? If so, how?

Main Question or Discussion Point

It seems to me on the forefront that Artificial Intelligence research is more of the computer scientist's and mathematician's game, but I seem to recall reading a couple of books written by physicists on the subject as well (including Penrose's The Emperor's New Mind).

Is this a popular trend? What areas of physics are most commonly utilized in that area?

Answers and Replies

It seems to me on the forefront that Artificial Intelligence research is more of the computer scientist's and mathematician's game, but I seem to recall reading a couple of books written by physicists on the subject as well (including Penrose's The Emperor's New Mind).

Is this a popular trend? What areas of physics are most commonly utilized in that area?
Penrose's books are about consciousness not AI. And I think for now, we should classify them under philosophy of science.
The part of his ideas that relate to AI, is that human consciousness is non-algorithmic which means it can't be modelled by (at least current) methods in AI. But I'm not sure what he means by consciousness. I haven't read about his ideas much.