Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is quantum physics a growing field in the future?

1. Nov 8, 2011 #1
    I once heard Michio Kaku talking about quantum information being the bright future in 50 years
    But I wasn't so sure if that QI = Quantum physics

also is string theory part of quantum physics???
    what do you need to study in masters to specialize in string theory

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2011 #2
    1. Quantum information is a subset of quantum physics, more specifically about storing bits (like on your computer) on atomic size scales
    2. String theory is a theory that tries to unify some stuff or something. (I really don't know.) It's not proven yet but it can be seen as "one level deeper" than quantum physics now.
    3. Probably lots of general relativity, quantum electro dynamics, and the such. It's hard stuff, string theory is.

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3
    Quantum information holds alot of relevance to computing, if we can store/ process information on a quantum level we can pack more punch into a smaller computer, the possibilities are endless for development just as after the silicon wafer replaced the circuit board.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook