Does quantizing metric fields mean quantum gravity?

In summary: The divergence of the spectrum of the field amplitudes is an issue that string theory must solve in order to be a complete theory.In summary, the papers discuss canonical quantization for gravitational perturbation. This canonical quantization belongs to another quantum gravity theory, which is not quantum gravity.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
In some papers, the gravitational field is canonically quantized. Does this lead to quantum gravity?
(I am not sure which forum this post belongs to. Hope someone kindly helps me move it to a proper forum.)

In papers, for example, here, here, and here, the authors start from the Lagrangian for matters and gravitational fields, then Dirac's constrained canonical quantization is used. They achieve annihilation and creation operators for gravitational perturbation.

I am not familiar with quantum gravity theories. I know there are several competing candidates, including String theory and LQG. These theories face different problems. Does this kind of canonical quantization belong to some of them, or it does not correspond to quantum gravity?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not quantum gravity, in those papers metric field is not quantized. This is decoherence of quantum matter caused by classical gravitational interaction.

Likes vanhees71
@Demystifier. As in the first paper, Eqs. (23) and (24) introduce creation and annihilation operators ##b## and ##b^\dagger##. Well, I will copy from the paper

We express the quantized TT perturbations in terms of creation and annihilation operators $$\hat h_{ij}(x)=\sqrt {\frac 2 \kappa} \sum_r \int \frac {d^3k}{(2\pi)^3 \sqrt{2 \omega_k}} L^r_{ij}(k)(\hat b_r(k)e^{ikx}+\hat b^\dagger_r(k)e^{-ikx} )$$
I am confused because I only see creation and annihilation operators in quantum theory. And here, ##b## and ##b^\dagger## are operators for the gravitational field. The corresponding operators for the matter field are labeled by ##a## and ##a^\dagger##.

So these operators can be used on classical fields?

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
You are actually right, in this paper it is quantum gravity. Sorry!

Likes vanhees71
Thanks, @Demystifier. No need to apologize.

I have gone through the papers again. It seems they are mainly considering an effective field theory in a low-energy limit. If I am correct, the non-renormalizable problem in String theory happens because of the ultraviolet divergence. I am not sure what problems are faced by the LQG theory. Some say that this theory will face a non-renormalizable problem as well when it takes classical limits.

Therefore, is this true that different quantum gravity theories coincide in the low-energy limit, and we can study quantum gravity in an effective field theory?

Haorong Wu said:
is this true that different quantum gravity theories coincide in the low-energy limit, and we can study quantum gravity in an effective field theory?
I'm not sure we even know what the low energy limit is of any quantum gravity theory, in the sense of actually being able to derive it. Most physicists appear to believe that any valid quantum gravity theory will have as its low energy limit the known quantum field theory of a massless spin-2 field, which was studied in the 1960s and 1970s and whose classical limit is known to be General Relativity. (This theory is also known to be non-renormalizable, but that is not an issue if we view it, as most physicists do, as an effective field theory that describes the low energy degrees of freedom.) However, I think that belief is based on physical intuition rather than any actual derivation from a quantum gravity theory such as string theory or LQG.

Likes vanhees71 and Haorong Wu
Haorong Wu said:
If I am correct, the non-renormalizable problem in String theory happens because of the ultraviolet divergence.
No, in string theory there is no ultraviolet divergence. The non-renormalizability due to ultraviolet divergences is a feature of the field theory of gravity.

Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
No, in string theory there is no ultraviolet divergence. The non-renormalizability due to ultraviolet divergences is a feature of the field theory of gravity.
Oh, sorry. I must misunderstand an introductory talk about quantum gravity given by Hermann Nicolai.

1. What is quantization in the context of metric fields?

Quantization is the process of describing a physical system in terms of discrete and quantized units, rather than continuous values. In the context of metric fields, this means treating the field as a collection of individual particles or quanta, rather than a continuous and smooth field.

2. How does quantization relate to quantum gravity?

Quantization is an important concept in the study of quantum gravity, which is the theory that seeks to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics with the theory of general relativity. In this context, quantizing metric fields means attempting to describe the gravitational field in terms of discrete and quantized units, in order to better understand its behavior at the smallest scales.

3. Can all metric fields be quantized?

No, not all metric fields can be easily quantized. In some cases, the quantization process may lead to inconsistencies or difficulties in the mathematical description of the field. This is one of the challenges in developing a theory of quantum gravity, as not all metric fields can be easily quantized.

4. What are the implications of quantizing metric fields for our understanding of the universe?

If successful, quantizing metric fields could greatly enhance our understanding of the universe at a fundamental level. It could help us better understand the behavior of gravity at the smallest scales, and how it interacts with other fundamental forces. It could also potentially lead to a unified theory of physics, which would greatly advance our understanding of the universe.

5. What are some current theories and research on quantizing metric fields and quantum gravity?

There are several theories and approaches to quantizing metric fields and developing a theory of quantum gravity, including string theory, loop quantum gravity, and causal dynamical triangulation. Researchers are also using various mathematical tools and techniques, such as non-commutative geometry and supersymmetry, to explore the quantization of metric fields. However, a complete and unified theory of quantum gravity is still a subject of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.