Is running at a normal speed but quietly better for my bones?

In summary: If you're still interested in trying out toe running, I would recommend looking into shoes specifically designed for it.
treehouse
I've been trying this out to distract people less. Yesterday I took it to a treadmill. It was nearly silent compared to the thuds I'm used to hearing with each footstep. At first I found it easiest to achieve this effect by stepping pretty much only with the balls of my feet. Then I found that I could bring my foot down beginning with the balls but smoothly coming down further later in the step to achieve even greater silence. It made my calves sore.

Is this good for my bones?

Biology news on Phys.org
treehouse said:
I've been trying this out to distract people less. Yesterday I took it to a treadmill. It was nearly silent compared to the thuds I'm used to hearing with each footstep. At first I found it easiest to achieve this effect by stepping pretty much only with the balls of my feet. Then I found that I could bring my foot down beginning with the balls but smoothly coming down further later in the step to achieve even greater silence. It made my calves sore.

Is this good for my bones?
Do you belong to a gym? Ask an instructor what the correct way to run on a treadmill is. They an also observe you and point out any mistakes you are making.

Evo said:
Do you belong to a gym? Ask an instructor what the correct way to run on a treadmill is. They an also observe you and point out any mistakes you are making.

That's a good idea. I think it may be that my energy isn't transferred all at once, which is probably better for my bones.

You might consider looking into "toe running", which is sort of a fad now. In fact, I think we had a thread on it here...I'll look into that. It sounds like that's what you're doing, by landing on the ball of your feet.

But "toe running" involves a new kind of shoe that is supposed to replicate running in bare feet. In my opinion, the info you find on it is rife with marketing BS - I have no idea if any of it is valid. So, caveat emptor as you do your research :biggrin:!

Everyone I know who has tried it says that at first, it really makes your calf muscles sore - just like you mentioned!Edit- here's that thread I mentioned:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=519494

A video on running shoes.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-15749655/top-tips-for-the-perfect-running-shoes-26532139.html#crsl=%252Fvideo%252Fhealth-15749655%252Fexpress-medical-centers-on-the-rise-26534910.html

These "natural shoes" do not appear have the individual toes, but just molded around toes, they might feel more natural, asd your toes aren't spalyed apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall seeing the thread about toe-running on this forum. I've had several people tell me that for running in straight lines the shoes are great but need an adaptation.

You're body is used to the traditional running shoes and you will have to run short distances or even wear them around the house in order to get used to them.

Failing to do so will cause damage or stress on parts of the foot, knees and hips. If i find the thread again I'll link it!

Found the thread I read earlier this week. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=519494

Last edited:

1. Is running at a normal speed but quietly better for my bones?

There is no evidence to suggest that running at a normal speed but quietly has any significant impact on bone health. The most important factor for maintaining healthy bones is regular weight-bearing exercise, which can include activities like running, walking, and strength training.

2. Will running quietly reduce the risk of injury to my bones?

Running quietly may reduce the impact on your bones and joints, but it is not a guarantee against injury. Other factors such as proper footwear, form, and rest are also important in preventing bone injuries.

3. Can running quietly improve my bone density?

While running can help improve bone density, there is no evidence to suggest that running quietly has a greater impact on bone density compared to running at a normal volume. The key factor in improving bone density is the amount and intensity of weight-bearing exercise.

4. Is it better to run quietly on hard surfaces to protect my bones?

Running quietly on hard surfaces may reduce the impact on your bones and joints, but it is important to vary your running surface to avoid overuse injuries. Running on softer surfaces, such as grass or trails, can also help improve balance and stability, which can benefit bone health.

5. Can running quietly prevent osteoporosis?

Regular exercise, including running, can help prevent osteoporosis by strengthening bones and improving overall bone health. However, there is no evidence to suggest that running quietly specifically has a greater impact on preventing osteoporosis compared to running at a normal volume.