Is Self-Study in Mathematics Right for Me?

In summary, self-study in mathematics can be a great option for those who are self-motivated and have a strong foundation in the subject. It allows for a flexible learning schedule and can be a cost-effective way to improve math skills. However, it may not be suitable for everyone as it requires a high level of discipline and may lack the support and guidance of a traditional classroom setting. Before embarking on self-study in math, it is important to assess one's learning style and goals to determine if it is the right fit.
Kani Sama
How did you find PF?
Via sites like duckduckgo, I was looking for some sites that are less like Mathematics Stack Exchange.
Hello!

I have been following this site for quite some time and I quite like the more approachable atmosphere compared to areas like stack exchange, it makes me feel less like an idiot. I finished my bachelor's of Statistics and Data Science, didn't do so well on the statistics courses except discrete maths, and I am currently unemployed for about a year, though I have 1 year experience as a programmer and I am going to work soon.

I read, "The Essential Guide to Self Study Mathematics" and "Am I Cut Out for Mathematics or Sciences?" both by Micromass just a few minutes ago and was hugely motivated, and inspired, to look into the pure maths curriculum, I have Spivak's Calculus so I should start there, thus creating an account here to further promote my self study environment.

I have read and attempted to many personal development guides like "Deep Work" by Cal Newport, "A Mind for Numbers" by Barbara Oakley, and "Ultralearning" by Scott Yong all to no avail I felt like I do not have something sufficiently tangible from them as a guideline and my progress seemed to diminish after a few weeks. I had thought that maths is maybe not for me but read Micromass' articles and wanted to try it again, this time far slower and with Physics Forum. I am looking forward to read, ask or answer some cool and interesting topics here!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure @micromass will be gratified that you are inspired by his articles.

Likes Kani Sama