1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Sqrt(-1) not unique? I.e. is i not the only one?

1. Jan 18, 2014 #1
    Sorry for the dumb question, I'm not good at mathematics, but:

what is 1/i ?

1/i * 1/i = 1*1 / (i*i) = 1/-1 = -1 ???

If so the number, 1/i has the property that (1/i)^2 = -1 which is the definition of i.

BUT, 1/i is not equal to i because if it did:

1/i * i would be i*i= -1

however,

1/i * i = i / i = 1 ???

So can someone explain what's going on? Where did I make the mistake(s)?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2014 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

##\frac{1}{i}=-i##, because by multiplying the numerator and denominator with ##i## we get ##\frac{1}{i}=\frac{i}{i^{2}}=\frac{i}{-1}=-i##. The numbers ##i## and ##-i## both solve the equation ##x^{2}=-1##. The square root or higher roots can't be defined uniquely in complex algebra.

4. Jan 18, 2014 #3
    This is where your problem lies. You have to be careful with square roots. x^2 = 25, but does that mean x is +5 or -5? I think you can figure it out from that.

5. Jan 18, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Every number, real or complex, has two roots. -1 has the two roots i and -i. Your (1/i) is equal to -i.

And, while "i^2= -1" is often used as a defining property of "i", it cannot really be used as a "definition" because, as you say, -i has that same property.

If you want a rigorously correct definition of complex numbers, you have to do something like this:
    "The complex numbers consist of pairs of real numbers, (a, b), with addition defined by (a, b)+ (c, d)= (a+ c, b+ d) and multiplication by (a, b)(c, d)= (ac- bc, ad+ bc). Notice that (a, 0)+ (c, 0)= (a+ c, 0) and (a, 0)(c, 0)= (ac, 0) so we can think of the real numbers as being those complex numbers of the form (a, 0). Further, (0, 1)(0, 1)= (0(0)- 1(1), 0(1)+ 1(0))= (-1, 0) so that the product of (0, 1) with itself is the complex number representing the real number -1. If we now define "i" to be (0, 1), we have "[itex]i^2= -1[/itex]" We can also say that (a, b)= (a, 0)+ (0, b)= a(1, 0)+ b(0, 1). We are thinking of the complex number (1,0) as representing the real number 1 and since we have defined "i" to be (0, 1), we have (a, b) represented by a+ bi.

Now both (0, 1) and (0, -1) have the property that (0, 1)(0, 1)= (0(0)- 1(1), 0(1)+ 1(0))= (-1, 0) and (0, -1)(0,-1)= (0(0)- (-1)(-1), 0(-1)+ (-1)(0))= (-1, 0). That is "-1" has two complex roots but now we can distinguish between i= (0, 1) and -i= (0, -1).

6. Jan 18, 2014 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exception: zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook