Is strengthening with a second phase a method of hardening metals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter richard9678
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Metal Phase
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
richard9678
Messages
93
Reaction score
7
Hi. I read that one method of hardening a metal is through strengthening with a second phase.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the phrase "strengthening with a second phase".

Can the phrase "strengthening with a second phase" be shown on a phase diagram? Thanks.

P.S. I seem to have convinced myself that what amounts to a second phase, in this context, is when the result of cooling a metal results in a metal containing a mix of alpha and beta - a heterogeneous material. Not sure if I'm right though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eutektikum_new.svg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Diwakar
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I think the key issue is diffusion. If beta cannot be diffused within alpha as the metal cools, it will have to precipitate out as a separate and homogeneous material within the alpha mass. Vice versa if there is more beta than alpha in the composition. This means that the region on the phase diagram labelled a + b or alpha plus beta is indicating a two phase alloy. There are two separate homogeneous parts to the alloy in the region a + b. I believe.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Diwakar and Baluncore
richard9678 said:
Can the phrase "strengthening with a second phase" be shown on a phase diagram?
Yes, as richard9678 wrote, it is where it shows α+β on the example diagram.

α and β may have different atomic composition, but the bulk composition is the sum of the two and so decides the vertical line on the phase diagram down which the material cools.

The presence of two distinct homogeneous phases must be expected to change strength or hardness parameters.

There is no time axis on a phase diagram. The lowest energy phase or structure may not appear until after some trigger or time delay.