Is studying for 30 minutes then taking a break actually effective?

• Studying
  • Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break Studying
In summary: I had forgotten about that!I usually follow a 50 min reading, then a 10 min break; I feel the latter is beneficial for allowing me to leave the chair and move about. I haven't noticed any gain in understanding the stuff I was reading. But I like thinking over the topics recently studied during a stroll, though.Thank you @apostolosdt!I usually follow a 50 min reading, then a 10 min break; I feel the latter is beneficial for allowing me to leave the chair and move about. I haven't noticed any gain in understanding the stuff I was reading. But I like thinking over the topics recently studied during a stroll, though.
ChiralSuperfields
Is there a net gain (in knowledge and memory) if I study physics for 30 minutes then take a say, 10 minute break vs working for 40 minutes?

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Even if not, the knowledge gain to flebergy/focus lost ratio is certainly better, which is why doing many of the former together is likely more effective than doing many of the latter together.

Likes PhDeezNutz and ChiralSuperfields
Muu9 said:
Even if not, the knowledge gain to flebergy/focus lost ratio is certainly better, which is why doing many of the former together is likely more effective than doing many of the latter together.
Thank you @Muu9!

I usually follow a 50 min reading, then a 10 min break; I feel the latter is beneficial for allowing me to leave the chair and move about. I haven't noticed any gain in understanding the stuff I was reading. But I like thinking over the topics recently studied during a stroll, though.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
apostolosdt said:
I usually follow a 50 min reading, then a 10 min break; I feel the latter is beneficial for allowing me to leave the chair and move about. I haven't noticed any gain in understanding the stuff I was reading. But I like thinking over the topics recently studied during a stroll, though.
Thank you @apostolosdt !

Repetition is good too. Try every week to repeat what you did last week. And once / week repeat what you did one month ago.

Likes ChiralSuperfields, symbolipoint, hutchphd and 1 other person
You have to find out what works for you.

This looks like asking for permission to study less.

I see that you post just under one message per day asking for homework help. You have to aks are you becoming over-reliant on other people's help.

Likes ChiralSuperfields, PhDeezNutz, PeroK and 1 other person
Push as hard as you can for as long as you can. You'll know when you need a break.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and symbolipoint
Callumnc1 said:
Is there a net gain (in knowledge and memory) if I study physics for 30 minutes then take a say, 10 minute break vs working for 40 minutes?

Many thanks!
Nobody knows. You need to try that and find if it does or does not work for you.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and PhDeezNutz
Muu9 said:
flebergy
Congratulations! According to a Google search, this is the only page in the whole World Wide Web that uses the word "flebergy". Now all we need is a definition for it. :cool:

I thought it might be some newly trending term that I hadn't seen yet, hence the Google search.

flebergy.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu, ChiralSuperfields, TeethWhitener and 1 other person
Just building on what's already been said, there is no single method for studying that works universal for all people. And what works for you now, might also change with time.

A lot of physics is problem-based study. So setting a watch alarm to go off at exactly 30 minutes might not be the best strategy. If the alarm goes off while you're part way through a problem that you're making progress on, that might be more of an interruption/distraction than anything else. But generally, it's important to take breaks.

A lot can also depend on what you do with your breaks. Getting up and getting exercise or chatting with a friend (who is also on a break) might be better than doom scrolling through social media. Experiment. Figure out what makes you the most efficient.

Muu9 said:
flebergy/focus
Not trying to be trollish. Is this a thing? Or just a typo? Could not find such a word.EDIT:

Fascinating! I tried to Google that word.

Google cannot seem to find a match or even a definition for the word, yet it seems to have found this webpage and ... interpolated the meaning of the (unknown) word and is trying to provide results about studying that it thinks might be related?

Is this the spontaneous birth of a previously non-existent word into existence? If we give this enough time, will Google AI retroactively give this word context and meaning?

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Could not find such a word.

"Flebergy" is a perfectly cromulent term, IMO. Embiggen your vocabulary!

• Haha
Likes ChiralSuperfields, Vanadium 50, berkeman and 1 other person
Callumnc1 said:

Many thanks!
Is the question about 30+10 min vs 40 min+10 min? Or 30+10 vs no break at all?
Everyone is different, but most people can't focus for more than about 45-60 min or so before they need a short break. There is a reason for why this is how long school lessons are (at least in most countries).

That said, it obviously also depend on what you are doing. Solving problems is quite different from e.g., trying to memorise something.

But, again, the best method is whatever works for you.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
Sorry everyone, my ba- err, I mean, the definition of flebergy is a type of psychological energy that decreases when intensely working on something mentally

malawi_glenn said:
Repetition is good too. Try every week to repeat what you did last week. And once / week repeat what you did one month ago.
Thank you @malawi_glenn! That is good advice!

Vanadium 50 said:
You have to find out what works for you.

This looks like asking for permission to study less.

I see that you post just under one message per day asking for homework help. You have to aks are you becoming over-reliant on other people's help.
Thank you, - true @Vanadium 50 !

PhDeezNutz said:
Push as hard as you can for as long as you can. You'll know when you need a break.
Thank you @PhDeezNutz !

symbolipoint said:
Nobody knows. You need to try that and find if it does or does not work for you.
Thank you @symbolipoint !

jtbell said:
Congratulations! According to a Google search, this is the only page in the whole World Wide Web that uses the word "flebergy". Now all we need is a definition for it. :cool:

I thought it might be some newly trending term that I hadn't seen yet, hence the Google search.

View attachment 322267
Haha true!

Choppy said:
Just building on what's already been said, there is no single method for studying that works universal for all people. And what works for you now, might also change with time.

A lot of physics is problem-based study. So setting a watch alarm to go off at exactly 30 minutes might not be the best strategy. If the alarm goes off while you're part way through a problem that you're making progress on, that might be more of an interruption/distraction than anything else. But generally, it's important to take breaks.

A lot can also depend on what you do with your breaks. Getting up and getting exercise or chatting with a friend (who is also on a break) might be better than doom scrolling through social media. Experiment. Figure out what makes you the most efficient.
Thank you for your reply @Choppy!

f95toli said:
Is the question about 30+10 min vs 40 min+10 min? Or 30+10 vs no break at all?
Everyone is different, but most people can't focus for more than about 45-60 min or so before they need a short break. There is a reason for why this is how long school lessons are (at least on most countries).

That said, it obviously also depend on what you are doing. Solving problems is quite different from e.g., trying to memorise something.

But, again, the best method is whatever works for you.
Thank you @f95toli !

jtbell said:
What I find fascinating is that never having encountered the word before did not stop Google from attempting to provide searches for what it thinks are relevant subjects!
1676431703329.png

Likes PhDeezNutz and ChiralSuperfields

1. Is studying for 30 minutes then taking a break actually effective?

The effectiveness of studying for 30 minutes and then taking a break depends on various factors such as the individual's learning style, the difficulty of the material, and the type of break taken. However, research has shown that breaking up study sessions into shorter chunks can improve retention and comprehension of information.

2. How long should the break be after studying for 30 minutes?

The length of the break after studying for 30 minutes can vary depending on the individual's needs and preferences. Some may benefit from a short 5-10 minute break, while others may need a longer break of 15-20 minutes. It is important to listen to your body and take breaks as needed to avoid burnout.

3. What should I do during my break to make it effective?

The most effective break activities are those that allow your mind to rest and recharge. This can include physical activities like taking a walk or stretching, engaging in a creative hobby, or simply relaxing and doing something you enjoy. Avoid activities that require a lot of mental effort, as this can be counterproductive to the purpose of the break.

4. Can I study for longer than 30 minutes before taking a break?

While studying for 30 minutes and then taking a break is a common technique, it may not work for everyone. Some individuals may find that they can study for longer periods of time before needing a break, while others may need more frequent breaks. It is important to experiment and find what works best for you.

5. Are there any downsides to studying for 30 minutes then taking a break?

There are no significant downsides to studying for 30 minutes and then taking a break, as long as the break is used effectively. However, it is important to note that this technique may not work for everyone, and it is important to find a study method that is most effective for your individual learning style and needs.